turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opinion about a last minute youth load

Started by WNCTracker, April 07, 2018, 08:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

If he shooting a gobbler and that's it , he won't even realize how hard it kicked him. Wouldn't change a thing. It's not like he will be shooting the gun several times.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

owlhoot

Quote from: WNCTracker on April 07, 2018, 09:57:15 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on April 07, 2018, 09:52:45 AM
Quote from: WNCTracker on April 07, 2018, 09:44:57 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on April 07, 2018, 09:41:03 AM
Quote from: WNCTracker on April 07, 2018, 09:15:50 AM
Quote from: owlhoot on April 07, 2018, 09:08:01 AM
I would throw one on a pattern board at 30and see what you have.
It's a bad situation because I've been out of state for 2 weeks, get back tonight, and can only hunt in AM tomorrow with him. It's not how I'd plan it. When I broke in the gun, I patterned it with everything I had on hand just to shoot it.....including with pheasant loads and it wasn't real dense at more than 30 but would easily kill at 20-25 yd. I'm tempted to put him behind the 3" shell and rely on adrenaline but that is not how I would like to break him in.  I'm curios about the recoil vs the .308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did you have in the 10" at 30 with the pheasant loads?
Can't remember exactly but less than 100

if around 80 or more a lot of guys say your good , back long ago that is about what most had is 30 yard guns and lots of turkey were killed.
I would take the boy with that and get 30 and under and kill one.
That's how I started.

Well have fun and good luck luck!

Longbeard33

My son has taken 6 gobblers with a 20 ga shooting 2 3/4" low brass 7 1/2 dove loads.  The gun patterns well to 35 yards with a full choke.  5 of the gobblers have been taken at 15 yards, the other 30.  Started him on this when he was 7 and was a scrawny little guy. Just turning 11,  I was going to move him up to 3" this spring but he decided to use a bow instead, killing a gobbler this morning with a head shot at 6 yards.

Had a friend try the 12 ga thing with his 10 yr old and it didn't pan out well.  Kid didn't have a good grip on the gun, gun flew out of his hands and busted the stock on the blowdown they were up against. Kid got a 20 ga for Christmas this yr and was terrified to shoot it.  After the first three shots he's ok now.  You know your kid and how he will handle it as each kid is their own individual.  Good luck!
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.

-Albert Pike

WNCTracker

Quote from: SteelerFan on April 07, 2018, 09:29:48 AM
Here are some real numbers:

http://chuckhawks.com/compared_rifle_shotgun_recoil.html

That 3" is gonna thump.

Good grip + adrenalin + live bird = unnoticed.

Loose grip + gun slightly off shoulder = punch in the face?

If it were me, I'd go lighter load and closer shot. Worse case is you get to watch a bird strut and gobble at 40 yards. Still a great hunt experience! (best case, bird works to 25 yds and he gets a shot)
That table is pretty surprising for even dove loads being practically the same as a win300 mag...?

quackaddict

I've patterned a few loads over the years, and honestly, there isn't much that won't pattern good enough to kill a turkey at 30 yards and in. He could shoot some high quality sporting clays/trap loads with a turkey choke and wreck a bird inside 20. 1 ΒΌ of #6 from a 12 won't kick him very bad in that auto, and will kill a bird to 30 all day and twice on Sundays.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Caspar

2 3/4 inch low brass will kill a turkey fine out to 25-30 yards. we had the same dilemma with my buddys son a few years ago. i recommended the light shell so it didnt hurt him or make him gun shy. he was able to take a jake on the first morning at 25 yards. that bird died just as fast as any bird ive seen killed with a 3 inch magnum load. like another poster said, if you cant get a bird within range at least he will get a good show

WNCTracker

We got on 4 longbeards off the roost. They flew right over our heads down to the field about 100 yards across a ravine. We watched them strut and gobble for over 30 minutes at some roosted  hens while I let him practice his pot call. I knew they weren't going to come back across the hollow and he had fun.  I watched them through the binoculars and as soon as the last one went over the hill we got up to circle around for a different setup and 5 mins later....turkeys being turkeys ....we watched all 4 fly away. I knew where they went so we headed for cover and a 30 minute steep climb to get to a good setup spot. I was able to get one to gobble his way in to about 50 yards but he was on property I'm not granted access and he wouldn't cross the cow fence. Oh well, we let his interest die and backed out of there since we were out of time.  He had a blast

zelmo1

terp

2 3/4 7.5 trap load and keep the shots to 25 yards.    Id use a more open choke too if you have one.  Like factory full

owlhoot

Quote from: WNCTracker on April 08, 2018, 10:15:38 AM
We got on 4 longbeards off the roost. They flew right over our heads down to the field about 100 yards across a ravine. We watched them strut and gobble for over 30 minutes at some roosted  hens while I let him practice his pot call. I knew they weren't going to come back across the hollow and he had fun.  I watched them through the binoculars and as soon as the last one went over the hill we got up to circle around for a different setup and 5 mins later....turkeys being turkeys ....we watched all 4 fly away. I knew where they went so we headed for cover and a 30 minute steep climb to get to a good setup spot. I was able to get one to gobble his way in to about 50 yards but he was on property I'm not granted access and he wouldn't cross the cow fence. Oh well, we let his interest die and backed out of there since we were out of time.  He had a blast

That's a good deal,he had fun and good luck next time out.
What did you end up doing with the gun and loads choice?

WNCTracker

Quote from: owlhoot on April 08, 2018, 02:35:23 PM
Quote from: WNCTracker on April 08, 2018, 10:15:38 AM

That's a good deal,he had fun and good luck next time out.
What did you end up doing with the gun and loads choice?
We took my SBE3 and used 2 3/4" #5's

Chris O

My sons first one was killed with a 2 3/4 inch pheasant load at about 25 yds. I would take him with the 3 inch 12 that you have patterned. If he shoots at a bird. He won't be scared of the recoil. Maybe let him shoot the gun with light loads for practice.

Bowguy

Quote from: owlhoot on April 07, 2018, 09:08:01 AM
I would throw one on a pattern board at 30and see what you have.
My first thought