OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting During Windy Weather

Started by bbcoach, April 15, 2011, 07:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Need some advice on hunting during really Windy weather.  It's supposed to be very windy tomorrow here in Eastern NC, prior to the thunderstorms and rain.  It's supposed to start out 10 to 15 early and increase to 20 to 30 in the afternoon.

I am thinking about running and gunning from sun up since I know where the birds are roosting and I hunted this same area Thursday.  I have located two or three different gobblers that gobbled to several different calls but I couldn't get them to come in and I couldn't go to them because the wind was calm and the leaves were very dry and noisy.

What advice can you provide?

hunttherut

Its been my experience they like fields when it is windy.

Mike Honcho

For running and gunning wind is your friend.  I try to spot birds in the field ...afternoon works well , and try to get between them and where I think they will go to roost. Also works in the morning...I live in Kansas so land is flatter, birds here will stay closer to tree lines or creeks to try and break the wind. Worked for me last spring on a nice tom (Rio) in south central KS....maybe a 35 mph wind....I was able to stalk within 15 yards.
Worked great for me this week too....high winds ahead of a thunder storm and after I got off work I took an 11" beard eastern with a combination of stalking and calling loudly on a mouth call. He came in along a field edge...I was sitting in weeds along creek and field...gave me a 10 yard shot.

bbcoach

Quote from: Mike Honcho on April 16, 2011, 09:23:31 AM
For running and gunning wind is your friend.  I try to spot birds in the field ...afternoon works well , and try to get between them and where I think they will go to roost. Also works in the morning...I live in Kansas so land is flatter, birds here will stay closer to tree lines or creeks to try and break the wind. Worked for me last spring on a nice tom (Rio) in south central KS....maybe a 35 mph wind....I was able to stalk within 15 yards.
Worked great for me this week too....high winds ahead of a thunder storm and after I got off work I took an 11" beard eastern with a combination of stalking and calling loudly on a mouth call. He came in along a field edge...I was sitting in weeds along creek and field...gave me a 10 yard shot.

Mike,
Thanks for the reply.  My hunt went just as you described this morning.  Couldn't locate any birds first thing, so I went to a field that had cotton in it last fall and the stalks are still standing so the birds have a place to hide while they feed.  I called at 8am and got an immediate response.  Waited in a ditch at the edge of the field calling about every 20 minutes or so and continued to get a response from the field.  At 8:55, I called and the bird responded less than a 100 yards away and heading my way.  Shortly thereafter, I hear the birds coming through the cotton stalks, as I hear their feathers rub the stalks.  Gun up, one hen, two hens then this Ole Boy stepped out at 25 yards.       15 lbs. 10 1/4 inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

Tom Foolery

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

bowhunter84

Ol'Mossy