OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for a ceramic

Started by dejake, December 17, 2017, 03:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauld

Thanks got the mentions guys. I will say this about the desired sound mentioned in the original post. A well tuned ceramic will scream. They are and should be higher than you will get out of glass or slate. If you're wanting something more mellow I would recommend a slate playing surface. As always I will be more than happy to build one but it's not going to be a more mellow tone like you're looking for, to be fair and honest. My Ceramics are the hottest call that I make and want to be forthright on the sound to expect, they are high and have a nasal tone to them, the rollover is quick and there is good rasp on the back on the note.

Thanks,
Paul D.

dixiemagnum80

Quote from: Chuck1443 on December 18, 2017, 02:59:10 AM
Quote from: Happy hooker on December 17, 2017, 10:47:12 AM
How much do the Anderson Daybreak Paduak ceramics sell for,,if anybody has ordered one recently
107$ just got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep....just got mine a couple weeks ago. They are amazing!

Forked lighting

Quote from: dixiemagnum80 on December 20, 2017, 10:50:14 PM
Quote from: Chuck1443 on December 18, 2017, 02:59:10 AM
Quote from: Happy hooker on December 17, 2017, 10:47:12 AM
How much do the Anderson Daybreak Paduak ceramics sell for,,if anybody has ordered one recently
107$ just got one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep....just got mine a couple weeks ago. They are amazing!
Don't be in hurry I got one a couple weeks ago been waiting guite a while nice call

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

vt35mag

Quote from: Ol Yelper on December 17, 2017, 08:29:57 PM
Haven't heard one yet but I see that Kimmie Hanks now has a Ceramic out. He makes some fine calls so I'm bettin it'll be a good one.

Found this on YouTube, what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mOJ2KA4LEE

southern_leo

Quote from: pauld on December 20, 2017, 07:14:40 AM
Thanks got the mentions guys. I will say this about the desired sound mentioned in the original post. A well tuned ceramic will scream. They are and should be higher than you will get out of glass or slate. If you're wanting something more mellow I would recommend a slate playing surface. As always I will be more than happy to build one but it's not going to be a more mellow tone like you're looking for, to be fair and honest. My Ceramics are the hottest call that I make and want to be forthright on the sound to expect, they are high and have a nasal tone to them, the rollover is quick and there is good rasp on the back on the note.

Thanks,
Paul D.
I agree 100%. If you want mellow then slate is where you need to look. I like ceramic and slate, but keep in mind you buy the surface for the sound you want. Playing mellow is slates category.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

3bailey3

I just watched the Hanks video great sounding call, I have two of their calls and both are always in my vest, I can't believe more people on here don't talk about Hanks calls, Awesome callers!

3bailey3

And man would I love to fish that pond I that video!

southern_leo

Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 26, 2017, 07:34:38 PM
I just watched the Hanks video great sounding call, I have two of their calls and both are always in my vest, I can't believe more people on here don't talk about Hanks calls, Awesome callers!
I don't own one but would love to one day. His calls don't get enough recognition. Does he go to NWTF convention?

870BkWht

Quote from: southern_leo on December 26, 2017, 08:53:54 PM
Quote from: 3bailey3 on December 26, 2017, 07:34:38 PM
I don't own one but would love to one day. His calls don't get enough recognition. Does he go to NWTF convention?

Yes.... Hanks has won the D.D. Adams callmaker award 2 years in a row.  He makes a fantastic pot call.  I have his Padauk Aluminum and his Zebrawood Glass over Aluminum and both are awesome pot calls.

Im going to be getting his ceramic very soon. 

southern_leo

Just found floor plan for the convention. It's showing hanks in booth 1025 for everyone's reference. I'll make sure I stop by this one.

3bailey3

870 those are the two that stay in my vest, great calls!

vt35mag

Just ordered Hanks Padauk/Ceramic... AND the Osage Glass Over Aluminum.  Anxious to try them out first hand.  Want to get my hands on Halloran's Ceramic and try that one too. 

There always will be a spot in my vest for my curly maple/ceramic from Andy Kaiser, but ceramic is the only surface I do not have multiples of.

PEte_A

Quote from: vt35mag on December 27, 2017, 01:44:42 PM
Just ordered Hanks Padauk/Ceramic... AND the Osage Glass Over Aluminum.  Anxious to try them out first hand.  Want to get my hands on Halloran's Ceramic and try that one too. 

There always will be a spot in my vest for my curly maple/ceramic from Andy Kaiser, but ceramic is the only surface I do not have multiples of.

Can you provide us with a review or sound file when you get it?

Thx
Pete

vt35mag

Quote from: PEte_A on December 27, 2017, 08:22:32 PM
Quote from: vt35mag on December 27, 2017, 01:44:42 PM

Can you provide us with a review or sound file when you get it?

can do

Thx
Pete

vt35mag

The Hanks Ceramic came.  The call I received sounds just like the one being played in the youtube video.  I would describe the yelp as having a medium front that finishes RASPY.  Very easy call to play.  To my ear, it sounded best with dymondwood, bloodwood, and Ipe strikers.  I will hang onto it, being it has the medium front and a raspy back.  My Kaiser Maple Ceramic has a higher front, with not quite as much rasp.  If you don't have a ceramic in your arsenal and like rasp, you will probably be more than happy with it.  If you have a ceramic already that you are really into, and are thinking about picking one of these up.  I would be a little reserved in your expectations with it, if you are hoping it it will replace what you currently have. Its a solid call and I am sure they will sell a ton of them though.