OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red Slate

Started by bobk, January 30, 2018, 10:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobk

I noticed  that several call builders are using Red Slate as a playing surface. I was curious  if anyone had played this surface. I spoke to one call maker, he said that it was not as high on the front end as green slate. Thanks for any replies. Bob

RemCrystal

Got one from paul durham. Red slate over glass in a maple pot. Plays great and runs super easy and yes does sound different from your traditional slate.

pauld

Super glad you like that call!

There's not as much difference from Red to Green. I don't notice any real difference in them when I have them in the same wood. Both will give you the higher raspier pitch and tone then what you'll get out of the grey slate. I really am pleased with the red and the green slate I'm getting. My only issue has been with the purple. I ordered one order of it to check it out and the quality of it was very sub-par. The overall diameter with all over the place and the thickness was equally inconsistent. I won't be making any more purple slates this year, but I'm very happy with the red and the green and they both have a very similar sound.

-Paul Durham