turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pre Season Calling

Started by shootumindaface, February 10, 2011, 11:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootumindaface

Even during season, If I go work a bird one day and do not score, I never hunt him again.. He is Educated :-[

Jbird22

I know people that have done it and it didn't seem to hurt a thing BUT you won't catch me doing it.

Jbird22

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 11, 2011, 10:21:03 AM
Even during season, If I go work a bird one day and do not score, I never hunt him again.. He is Educated :-[

I'm pretty sure I missed the same bird twice, yes twice, last season. He actually came in gobbling more the 2nd time I missed him than he did the 1st time :) .

shootumindaface

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 11, 2011, 10:27:38 AM

I'm pretty sure I missed the same bird twice, yes twice, last season. He actually came in gobbling more the 2nd time I missed him than he did the 1st time :) .
Nah couldnt have.. He would have learned from the first experience and at your first call would have been across the property line

DC1.

I don't but . to each his own .   :character0029:

Jbird22

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 11, 2011, 10:29:40 AM

Nah couldnt have.. He would have learned from the first experience and at your first call would have been across the property line

Pretty sure it was the same one only because that is the only turkey I heard gobble in this area all season. I missed him on 3/29 and then again on 4/11. Me and my cousin got on him on 4/10 and he was roosted within 50 yds of the tree he was roosted in on 3/29. A few jakes ended up ruining our hunt that day so I came back on 4/11 and ended up missing again. He was roosted bout 300 yds away from where he was the day before. This was in the heart of a pretty big track of public land so thankfully there were no property lines close by. I hope he is still around this season because I would LOVE to finally settle the score with him!!!

knightrider

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

gophert

I only take an owl and crow call when scouting.  I don't need the temptation of having a call close by.

LAWRENCE BOY

Gobble
Gobble

BOOM

stinkpickle

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 11, 2011, 10:29:40 AM

PANYHunter

Thats a big negatory,well maybe on the neighbors property :goofball:   

Skeeterbait

Probably does not cause a problem with the turkeys but I am not going to do it.  I will go and listen in silence.  getting too much of a commotion started up might give away your spot to someone else listening.

latimer shedhead

RutnNStrutn

IMHO you would hurt your chances. Even if you get out of there, they come looking and find no hen. Then when they hear your call during the season, would they recognize it? Perhaps. Most people I know never to call prior to the season, and I believe that is a sound philosophy. Although I see nothing wrong with shock calls, like crow, owl, etc.

timbrhuntr

Actually he is dead, I killed him last year !  :TooFunny: