OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ipe

Started by Mag10, April 15, 2011, 12:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mag10

Has anyone tryed Ipe ( Ironwood ??) for pot calls or strikers? It is very hard!

TurkeyPotpie

Ive seen a few Ironwood strikers and couple pots. Im actually going to turn one for myself when i finish tooling  up. Im a newbie so it should be interesting

culpeper

I have used Ipe for lids on box calls and it works great, haven't tried it for the box though---could be a bit too hard to get the right friction characteristics.  Now the Ipe I have is from the Coney Island board walk, it's almost chocolate colored, evry single board and the boards are 3.5" thick and about 12-13" wide...all the ironwood I ever saw is much smaller and light in color--are you sure it's Ipe?

Mag10

Quote from: culpeper on April 15, 2011, 08:21:44 PM
I have used Ipe for lids on box calls and it works great, haven't tried it for the box though---could be a bit too hard to get the right friction characteristics.  Now the Ipe I have is from the Coney Island board walk, it's almost chocolate colored, evry single board and the boards are 3.5" thick and about 12-13" wide...all the ironwood I ever saw is much smaller and light in color--are you sure it's Ipe?

Yes It's Ipe,  Sometimes called Brazilian Ironwood,  used on high end decks for decking.  Its dark chocolate brown and weighs about 4 times as much as treated pine.  It's from south America I think.

culpeper

Yep, that's the stuff.

Gobblerstopper

Been my favorite on copper for several years and now is one of my favorite on ceramic also.  Always called it Ironwood.

flydowntn

I also thought it was Brazillan Walnut. My wood source guy sells Ipe and the walnut the same wood. Kingwood is a differ color I thought.
I think Ipe and  Kingwood are different. Look at the pictures on hobbithouse.com. They are listed as different woods and have different colors and grain.
Shane
S. P. Game Calls

misfire

Not sure what it is related to myself, closest I can think of is CONCRETE!!!!! That stuff is hard, but turns out a nice finished product
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

gonehuntin982

I have used Ipe for lids on box calls with great success the closes thing to it I think is Jatoba or Brazilian cherry

Mike

magnoliagamecalls

I havent tried it on pots but I am sure it will work. But have tried it on strikers and it works good.

handcannon

They use it a lot down here in Brazil on fences and gates at small home properties. Makes a really nice looking cover up for all the junk they got behind the fence. It last a long time too with little maintenance. I sure wish I could pack me a bunch of this stuff in my bag and carry it back to the states with me.