OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Crossbow recommendations

Started by Fieldturkey, August 08, 2017, 07:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fieldturkey

Guys my dads getting older and can't draw a bow like he used to.  We are looking for crossbow recommendations so he can still hunt. He doesn't need a top of the line bow but don't want junk either. Just a mid grade starter crossbow. Thoughts?

Ben

owlhoot

Lower range Excalibur and he won't be disappointed.

MK M GOBL

I would go with any of the "TenPoint" line, if you want to stay on the lower price point look at Wicked Ridge and the New Invader G3 ACUdraw™ Crossbow Package, right at $650.00

Everything you need to start hunting
Shoots bolts up to 330 fps
Crisp, quiet 3.5-lb. trigger
ACUdraw gear-assisted cocking system
Wicked Ridge's Invader G3 ACUdraw Crossbow Package sports a semi-skeletal, cored stock to reduce weight without compromising strength. Risers and pockets are CNC-machined for superior quality and strength. Acura-Angle™ barrel. T2™ trigger has a smooth, quiet 3.5-lb. pull. Dry-Fire Inhibitor (DFI™) prevents crossbow from firing without a bolt. TenPoint 3X Multi-Line™ Scope provides accuracy at long ranges. ACUdraw gear-assisted cocking system for accurate, effortless draws. Integrated swivel studs allow quick attachment of a sling. Made in USA.
Speed: 330 fps.
Power stroke: 13.5".
Draw wt: 165 lbs.
Kinetic energy: 97 ft.-lbs. KE.
Length: 38".
Width: 19" (cocked); 21" (uncocked).
Wt: 6.6 lbs.; with accessories: 8.9 lbs.
Camo pattern: Mossy Oak® Treestand®.

Invader G3 ACUdraw Crossbow Package includes: crossbow, TenPoint 3X Multi-Line Scope, ACUdraw rope-cocking system, 3-bolt quiver and three Wicked Ridge carbon bolts.

MK M GOBL

Tail Feathers

Crossman makes on for a little $200 that gets pretty good reviews.
I bought an older style, but new, Excalibur that I'll be trying out this fall.
I like the simplicity and durability of the Excals.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Double B

Agree that the Excalibur crossbow is a great way to go.  I'm shooting a Grizzly matrix and it's really accurate.  Easy to cock and let down too, that's a real advantage.
Followed by buzzards

3bailey3

Bowguy

My friend brought me one as I'm recovering from surgery and it may be the only way I hunt this year. It is an excaliber and while it's accurate, he may have trouble drawing it back since there's no let off.
I've lifted my whole life, yes it's been almost 7 weeks since surgery. I've lost 20 lbs of muscle and they finally ok'd me to be more physical but it's hard to draw. May be for him too. The option is a cranker or wheel type crossbows imo

Disney

Parker Thunderhawk.
Short limbs,  easier to hide with and walk through the woods. The limbs won't be banging against trees all the time. It's also lighter weight than some other crossbows. It has an Anti-Dryfire safety, an excellent feature, but you are stuck buying Parker bolts with special knocks to accomadate this safety and also shoot the bow. Its 160 lbs. It's easy to cock with a rope cocker. The package deal also includes an illuminated crosshair dot scope with calibrated crosshairs up to 60 yards ( I think ). I have one and love it, after owning several other crossbows. Get the package deal, it may be a little more expensive than what you may be thinking of spending, but well worth it. At least check it out. I'm pretty sure it has a lifetime warranty. I split arrows at 40 yards with a steady rest. I absolutely love that bow!
I've had two bad surgeries on my lower back and I'm loaded with hardware. I can never shoot a compound again. I have severe physical limitations. This bow has made it possible to continue my archery hunting. A few of my other crossbows were almost as heavy as a 30.06 and killed my back, hips and shoulders while carrying it.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

daddyduke

I've been using a Jaguar 175 lb Recurve Crossbow for 2 seasons now with No complaints. I bought it because it had really good reviews and price. Got on sale for $60.00 at Rural King ($79.99 Now). I personally know 6 other people using one with no complaints. It comes complete with aluminium bolts but I have switched to carbon.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

hookedspur

I use the Excalibur 355 matrix and it is super accurate. My son uses the 380 and he loves it.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

mtns2hunt

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Hook hanger

I will add a plus towards a 10 pt with the accudraw system that cranks back. Adds accuracy plus makes it easier for them to cock it. I know this from dealing with experience. They are very accurate can't aim at same spot with second bolt.

Fieldturkey

Thanks for all the replies. I guess we need to go hold some of these and see what works for him.

wvmntnhick

While I've used one a few times and enjoyed it, I'm not a stickler for crossbows. Not hating on them and certainly see their place. Going with a old school recurve this year personally but can still see myself going back and forth some. Having said that, I've owned a Barnett and a Parker. Played with a wicked ridge as well. Still have the Parker. It's a thunderhawk and I really like it. If I were choosing, I'm taking the Parker over the ones I've had the chance to handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

I have a 10 year old Parker Hurricane I bought new that still shoots great.    It is 100% made in the United States in Virginia and has a lifetime warranty.  It is super accurate and I have taken a lot of deer with it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.