OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

WHAT ACTIVITY OR JOB KEEPS YOU IN SHAPE FOR YOUR NEXT TURKEY HUNTING SEASON??

Started by quavers59, July 23, 2017, 02:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I am a lifelong warehouse worker myself and being a public land hunter-- this helps out TG! Sometimes I still have to unload trucks by hand and I will be 58 in a few months. Hope to retire at 63- but may not be able to afford that. I also still practice the martial arts every day. 36 total years  involved. It is my 2nd passion to turkey hunting. I remember some of the dojo wars that you won't see in todays schools.  And lifting weights and hiking round things out. I know alot of old-time turkey guides hiked alot to stay in shape.
    So what do you do members to stay in shape for the next turkey season??

stinkpickle

Resistance training, cardio, and kickboxing six days per week.  Of course, that stuff occasionally injures me, too.

Happy

Used to actually work as an electrician. Now I am in management so I lift weights and either jog or do the stationary bike.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Coop1082

I'm a career firefighter which has its own ways of keeping me in shape. I also powerlift and compete occasionally which I know doesn't seem like it would carry over into the cardiovascular conditioning of hiking a long ways to chase a bird, but it certainly doesn't hurt! To echo pickle, sometimes the "training" I do can also leave me slightly injured as well. I tend to back off of the amount of weight lifted come turkey season and treat it like a really long deload period just to be safe!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Greg Massey

I'm working at retirement. I just walk on my treadmill and work outside a lot gardening etc...just regular activity...I don't do a lot of running and gunning anymore for turkey's ...i just move and set a lot and listen. I have 5 good homemade blinds on my land...so i always know were the turkeys are located.

LaLongbeard

Weights 3 days a week and bike 3 days a week 30- 40 miles.
Walk a lot when at work and a lot of climbing ladders /towers some few hundred feet high so I stay in shape year round. I  do a lot of scouting/ walking right before season after hunting every day of the season I'm usually in the best shape when it ends.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

KentuckyHeadhunter

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

crow

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on July 23, 2017, 04:12:54 PM
Every four years I watch the Olympics.

I tried this with both the summer and winter games, but it got too much for me, now I just focus on the winter games-----too hot in the summer

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

falltoms

I'm always doing something in the woods when not at work. I run a trap line for 4 months in fall and winter. That will keep anyone in shape.

Farmboy27

Working construction and farming. If I have to "work out" in the evening, then I didn't work hard enough during the day!

Tail Feathers

I walk a couple of miles about 5 days per week.  I do some modest weight lifting.  Shoulder issues keep me at pretty modest weights.  I do some rowing every now and then to ready myself for the bi-annual fitness testing at work.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!