turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Apex Tss loads

Started by WW, July 22, 2017, 12:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

Have you guys ordered any yet? I hear that they're awesome... thinking of getting a "trial" box.

Coop1082

Got a buddy that bought up some 3inch #9s for his 20. Certainly look great on paper.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

mtns2hunt

I would like to try them also as there is a lot of hype. What size is recommended for a 12 Gauge?
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

outdoors

I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN THIS FOR 20g
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

silvestris

I could some very derogatory remarks , but I will settle for "It's your money".
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

silvestris

I could make some very derogatory remnarks , but I will settle for "It's your money".
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

fallhnt

They have it in .410 too. Just in time for Fall turkey.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Coop1082

I spoke to Robert McCormick one of the lead guys at Apex about the loads. Obviously TSS is meant for sub gauges, but they do offer 3.5 inch 2.25oz loads for 12 gauges. I agree with him in that anything they offer in a 12 is overkill, but if that's all you have shotgun wise then their 3 inch 2oz 12 gauge load is more than enough. I plan to try it when I finish my 20 gauge 870 youth build.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

davisd9

They have done a great job marketing that everyone can kill a turkey no matter how close it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Swampchickin234

Just roll your own. Not anything anyone cannot do.

fallhnt

I don't have the equipment to roll my own. $25 for five .410 shells is a good deal imo. Only need 3 for this Fall.

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

mtns2hunt

Well at 44 -53 a box of "5" for 12 gauge #8's I would consider them a bit pricy. Still might try a box. Don't have any reloading equipment for shotgun shells. But at one shot per turkey and a couple to pattern probably don't need to reload.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

derek

I think Apex has something good going on.  I do believe there's a market out there for people like myself that want to try out TSS but are leery of hand loading themselves.   I had a couple friends loading their own raving about how great it was, I was on the skeptical side.. as Hevi13 has been working for me and working well... Then I had that one bird this spring.. rainy day longbeard.. not a far shot, 35 yards.. looking through a wet glass on the ff2, maybe I pulled the shot some.  I hit him, I know I hit him.  Never recovered that bird unfortunately.. sick to my stomach and all I could think was tss would have killed him (I still believe that).  I found out about Apex shortly after that, towards the end of the season and picked up a box when they couldn't keep any in stock for more than a couple days.  I killed 4 longbeards after that.  22, 27, 24 and 28 yds.. clearly nothing Hevi13 would have had a problem with.. but I noticed a difference.. I know dead is dead.. but not a one of them flopped.  I'm not completely sold yet as it obviously isn't necessary, but TSS really seems to be some wicked stuff.. I loaded up with enough for next season already to give it some more "testing".   I have no desire to take stupid far shots even if its within the capabilities of the load.. but if it can save a screw up, misjudge, pulled shot, etc and turn it into a dead gobbler vs a wounded bird.. it would be worth it.  And price wise.. if you're looking at tss - Apex's price isn't much more than loading your own in small volume.  So far so good. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

davisd9

Do not need many reloading tools to do your own. A hand drill and a few other items and you are good to go

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

Quote from: fallhnt on July 22, 2017, 02:17:53 PM
They have it in .410 too. Just in time for Fall turkey.

Now the .410 shells do sound interesting