OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

need some advice...

Started by tiggere, April 13, 2011, 06:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiggere

Ok guys...this is my first year hunting on game lands and since we killed that bird Saturday I have yet to hear another bird gobble...I was out there until 1 pm today and walked at least 10 miles through swamp, fields, and everything in between...there are freakin' people everywhere and I'm sure thats why the birds have shut up...most of this place is a true swamp and there ain't much getting off into it just cause its so darn thick...I did call in a hen today around 11:30 or so...she must have gotten off her nest to come check me out...she got to within 6 steps before busting me...

Any help for hunting public land would be appreciated...I do have the luxury of hunting everyday where others are limited to weekends only but that has not helped in this case and its only the first week...its gonna get worse...and no, I don't know the area real well...its almost 100,000 acres of swamp, fields grassy areas with mainly pines...I drove the whole darn thing today and stopped everywhere there was not a car and walked...and then walked some more...should I bail off into the swamp?

Trevor2

Dont think it will get worse nessacarily. If they aint die hard turkey hunters, then by about mid season of no gobbling they will most likely pull out and head else where, good luck.
Strutstopper

bowhunter84

Quote from: Trevor2 on April 13, 2011, 07:31:35 PM
Dont think it will get worse nessacarily. If they aint die hard turkey hunters, then by about mid season of no gobbling they will most likely pull out and head else where, good luck.
:icon_thumright:

Ruger M77

I would try to get back in the most remote hard to get to spot you can find and give it A try
I eat therefore I hunt

Struttin Spurs

Quote from: Ruger M77 on April 14, 2011, 06:46:07 PM
I would try to get back in the most remote hard to get to spot you can find and give it A try

agreed

tiggere

yep...going tomorrow...gotta 2 mile hike before sunrise to get to our spot...gonna take my neighbor who has never turkey hunted before...I told him he picked a helluva day to want to go with me :P...I hope we at least hear a few...hearing them is almost as much fun as shooting one if you ask me...

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

Kylongspur88

Get a map!!! look at the place from above and you can see places others wont go, or are not as obvious. If water is whats stopping you from getting away from people a canoe or boat does wonders on public land. I know around here a piece of public land I like is over run the first 2 weekends, but it's a ghost town on weekdays and the last part of the season.

gunnerj

I don't know your daily hunting hours, but most guys are calling it a day at 8am. We have bagged more birds on pressured public areas hunting mid day 12 - 2 pm. They are there. They are just quiet. Call very conservatively. Stay away from a yelp more than 4 notes, and do more clucks and purrs(feeding).  GOOD LUCK!