OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red dot or magnified scope?

Started by blake0311, May 16, 2017, 08:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blake0311

Thinking about putting a red dot or low magnification optic on my designated turkey gun for next season. I had Williams slugger iron sights this season and liked them but wanted opinions on red dots, low magnification optics and iron sights. I hunt a lot of public land and both birds I killed this year I took at the 35-40 yd mark and was thinking a red dot or magnified optic might work better for those "longer" shots. What do the experts on here use?

Bowguy

If you're good  at 35-40 you're good period. Name of the game is calling them.
Now imo if you're using a quality red dot you might be ok. I love Burris scopes but had a fast fire on less than a day when I returned it. Thing is garbage.
Low power scopes need no batteries n require some of the same care as red dots. If you're eyes are aging go for it. If not 35-40 is plenty

lunghit

The only experience I have with red dots is the Aimpoint 9000sc. It has been a flawless scope and I would buy it again in a second. Do some research and you will see it's a high quality scope.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

BABS9

MK M GOBL

My vote is the scope!! Flawless performance for better than 20 years.
Bushnell 1.75-4X32 CIRCLE-X SHOTGUN Scope

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

I have red dots and scopes and i prefer scope over red dot....

Natty Bumpo

Leopold Turkey Ranger  M8-2.5X Small, light, bright and bulletproof.

Can't say the same for various red dots I have used/seen fail often.

TauntoHawk

I wouldn't trade my fast fires for anything
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wvlimbhanger

I used a red dot for several years and one morning I went out and the battery was dead.  Not sure if I forgot to turn it off or if I twisted the knob putting the gun back in it's case the previous time I went out.  Doesn't really matter how it happened the result was the same.  I've switched to a bushnell scope with the circle reticle, same power etc as mentioned above.  Nothing to go wrong with it.

grayfox

I've used a red dot for the past 4 seasons & don't ever plan on going back to regular sights. When you get older & your eyes don't focus on those beads very well a red dot is a gift from heaven. I always carry a couple extra batteries in my vest & can change them in seconds so that has not been an issue with me. There are also signs of my batteries getting low so I know when they are getting close to running out of power. My red dot is small enough that I shoot with both eyes open so I have a very good field of view. That can come in handy if you have to take 2nd shot. I've never used a scope for turkey hunting but it should be good as long as you be careful. Seen several bust their noggins with them so you better get one with lots of eye relief. Both have their pros & cons. Scopes are heavier & require no batteries but red dots require batteries but are much lighter. I can personally get on target faster with my red dot. It's really just preference. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Good luck on your choice.

mossyoakpro

I use both the Burris Fastfire and Leupold Deltapoint.  Both are awesome sights and have worked flawlessly for years of rough turkey hunting. Like the post above I carry a spare battery with me at all times but I have never had to change it in the field.  I normally swap mine out at the beginning of every season to be on the safe side and ALWAYS check mine before leaving the truck each hunt but it's a piece of mind knowing I have a spare battery should something happen.

The Delta is a little more compact due to the fact that the guard is built in already where you have to put a guard on the Burris which makes it a little taller which has not been an issue at all just thought I would mention it.

Best of luck!!
Phillippians 4:13

turkey_picker

I have used the EOTech 512 the last couple of years and love it. As others have said, red dots need batteries, the EOTech takes two AA batteries. My flashlight and GPS uses AA batteries also, that way I can carry extra for all. Both have advantages and disadvantages, look through several different sites and scopes to see which one you like. My old eyes liked the EOTech circle with a dot in the center better than a scope. Good luck with whichever one you choose.  :icon_thumright:

SKFOOTER

Check out the Mueller Quick Shot. :turkey2:

decoykrvr

As my eyes aged, I was having trouble getting a good focus on the old StarDot sights and the gobbler.  I initially went with a Nikon Turkey scope which did a good job, but I didn't like the magnification.  The second year I used the scope, I had a gobbler come in at first light in the shadows and had him in full strut at 25 yards, but could not pick up the crosshairs due to the low light and the gobbler walked away.  In 37 years of turkey hunting, I have only had 2 gobblers come in when it was that dark. I went to a Nikon VSD (1,4,6,10 MOA) red dot and a couple of years later, on my second early morning "dark-thirty" strutter, I had to place the scope on the smallest dot, 1 MOA and dialed down the intensity to preclude any red glare.  I killed the gobbler at 20 yards.  I like the ability to shoot with both eyes open utilizing a red dot, and nothing is easier to get on target than a red dot.  I don't want to sound like a smart-, but if the turkey is in Hevi-Shot/TSS range and the red dot is on his neck, it's a dead gobbler.  I too carry spare batteries and have even had to put in a fresh battery while I had two gobblers at 30 yards in the woods.  Needless to say, it made for a very memorable successful hunt.

SumToy

I dont think one is better then other than if you have bad eyes.    Now I like the smaller light weight stuff because it puts less pressure  on the screws and mounting system. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA