turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

POI differences in 3" vs 3.5"???

Started by TheSportsman, May 15, 2017, 06:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

Have y'all ever noticed this? Point of impact diff BT 3" and 3.5", with lead and hevi shot??? Thanks for input

Ozarks Hillbilly

You can have  POI difference between shell length,shot sizes, shell manufactures, even in lot numbers of the same shell.

Longshanks

Frequently see this going from lead to HTL. 3" shell to 3.5" inch as well. I have seen this with shells when they use different wads from year to year. Have seen some discussions on barrel harmonics where high powered shells cause more barrel movement causing different POI.  Tight turkey chokes can cause this as well.  I have taken several shotguns and tested this by taking the shotgun and shooting all the chokes that come with the gun and lead loads. Close range and reasonable shotgun range. POA/POI was dead on but then screw in a turkey choke and the gun shoots off requiring aftermarket sights. Clark Bush can probably give some good explanations for why this happens. It seems to be a multitude of things that can cause it. Never the less the worst thing you can do is just screw in a turkey choke throw some turkey loads in the gun and go hunting.

Longshanks

Tell you something else that is crazy is I have two Ventilator .655 turkey chokes. One shoots great patterns out of my 870sm and the other won't shoot a single shell with a decent pattern out of the same gun. All guns can be different and occasionally it seems the same is true about turkey chokes.

beagler

Always pattern your gun first. My point of impact often changes between different shells.
Never Misses

davisd9

Point of impact will be pretty much the same with the same choke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tha bugman

Quote from: Ozarks Hillbilly on May 15, 2017, 08:42:12 PM
You can have  POI difference between shell length,shot sizes, shell manufactures, even in lot numbers of the same shell.
+1

Longshanks

My Beretta Xtrema II/ Hevi 13 Choke has a different POI with the Hevi 13 3.5" 7's and the Hevi 13 3" 7's.

lowoctane

I hunt with the same Lot # that I pattern with. :z-twocents:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Longshanks

Quote from: lowoctane on May 17, 2017, 07:06:12 PM
I hunt with the same Lot # that I pattern with. :z-twocents:

That's the best. I shoot a shell out of the box I am going to hunt with and most years I only shoot a couple of times hunting. When I finish out that box I shoot one from the next box then hunt. Always know what my gun is doing that way and doesn't take up too much time to send one down range. We shoot so much with rifles before and throughout deer season that it is good to get out and get a good feel for the shotgun triggers before turkey season.