turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli supernova vs. Winchester SXP turkey

Started by Jknight7, May 07, 2017, 11:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jknight7

Looking into both of these guns for a coyote/turkey gun. Looking for pros and cons? 24 inch barrel regular buttstock. Anyone have reviews/experience with these? Chokes and ammo combos?

Daniel703

I love my Supernova. Small minded Ppl rag on them because they think if it's not a mossberg or an 870 then it's not worth buying. Mine patterned beyond excellent right out of the box with a $35 carlsons choke. Throwing over 200 WLB 6s in a 10 every time. And i haven't seen a gun or a picture on this forum that can throw a more even pattern with 4s than my supernova. It's a well made work horse and if it fits you you won't regret it.

codym

I'm sorry Daniel I'm sure yours is great and this is just my worthless opinion but the supernova is the ugliest worst feeling shotgun I have ever handled. It's heavy and feels like a 2x4. I think I would own just about any other pump out there before I would own a nova. Full disclosure I did kill a tom with one 7 or 8 years ago so it did shoot straight.

dirt road ninja

Spurs Up

Quote from: codym on May 09, 2017, 03:56:25 PM
I'm sorry Daniel I'm sure yours is great and this is just my worthless opinion but the supernova is the ugliest worst feeling shotgun I have ever handled. It's heavy and feels like a 2x4. I think I would own just about any other pump out there before I would own a nova. Full disclosure I did kill a tom with one 7 or 8 years ago so it did shoot straight.

Interesting that you should say that.  The Super Nova is different from the rest.  I can even understand calling it ugly.  It is a little on the thick and heavy side.  That's not a bad thing in a duck blind.  More intended for wing shooting.  I don't think the safety with its position forward of the trigger is the best setup for turkey hunting.  That's the downside.

Now the upshot. The simplistic, functional design and craftsmanship exceeds the rest.  There's not even a close second.  And, I've owned (and still have) almost all of them.

If you want something dedicated to turkey hunting, keep looking.  If you want an exceptionally well-built, multi purpose gun, the Super Nova is hard to beat.

Cottonmouth

I dont know about the Winchester,  but the Nova forearm rattles worse than a Mossberg.  Might shoot and pattern good,  but the rattling is unacceptable to me.

Spurs Up

Quote from: Cottonmouth on May 09, 2017, 09:18:24 PM
I dont know about the Winchester,  but the Nova forearm rattles worse than a Mossberg.  Might shoot and pattern good,  but the rattling is unacceptable to me.

Just curious...is your Nova an earlier model?  My recent model Super Nova's forearm is free of any hint of rattle. Along the rattle spectrum, from rattletrap to rock solid, I'd rate it as Mossy, BPS, Winchester, Remington, Benelli. Can't speak to Weatherby or Stoeger.

Cottonmouth

Quote from: Spurs Up on May 09, 2017, 09:31:29 PM
Quote from: Cottonmouth on May 09, 2017, 09:18:24 PM

Just curious...is your Nova an earlier model?  My recent model Super Nova's forearm is free of any hint of rattle. Along the rattle spectrum, from rattletrap to rock solid, I'd rate it as Mossy, BPS, Winchester, Remington, Benelli. Can't speak to Weatherby or Stoeger.
I haven't picked up a Nova or Super Nova in about 5 years. Sounds like they may have gotten the kinks worked out.

Greg Massey

If you have decided it has to be one or the other ,,,get the Winchester....  Nova's are not the gun you want...agree it's like carrying a log with a chain tied to it...rattle....

codym

Quote from: Spurs Up on May 09, 2017, 07:40:11 PM
Quote from: codym on May 09, 2017, 03:56:25 PM

Interesting that you should say that.  The Super Nova is different from the rest.  I can even understand calling it ugly.  It is a little on the thick and heavy side.  That's not a bad thing in a duck blind.  More intended for wing shooting.  I don't think the safety with its position forward of the trigger is the best setup for turkey hunting.  That's the downside.

Now the upshot. The simplistic, functional design and craftsmanship exceeds the rest.  There's not even a close second.  And, I've owned (and still have) almost all of them.

If you want something dedicated to turkey hunting, keep looking.  If you want an exceptionally well-built, multi purpose gun, the Super Nova is hard to beat.

For me I just couldn't stand that gun. I hated the forend and it just wasn't comfortable in any position.There's plenty of people that like them and I am a fan of benelli autos so i'm sure the quality is there. For me the feel of an 870, BPS or even the old Winchester 1300 was light years better.

tha bugman

My Supernova was a good all around gun, and I owned a SX2, and I think that I liked the Winchester better and I have heard that the SX3 was better than the 2.  :z-twocents: