turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

When is the best time to scout??

Started by new2turkey, April 11, 2011, 03:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2turkey

Hey guys, went to listen for gobbles this morning and heard plenty... But I was in a sand pit with tracks, but it sounded like they had flew down and were staying in the woods. My question is, when would be the best time to go in the woods to scout? the birds didn't sound more than 75 yards away....

I don't want to scare them off.. I just want to find a spot before season so that if my current spot doesnt work out I can get in the woods.

sugarray

I would not get in there now.  I would wait and see how the morning unfolds, then if you have to get after them, go get them and scout while you are hunting.

new2turkey

gunnerj

The best time to scout is any time you can get out. You need to pattern birds for all times of the day, or your stuck to roosting. Take notes everytime you see or bump birds. Figure their daily patterns and you'll be hunting all day. 

renegade19

Quote from: gunnerj on April 15, 2011, 02:05:49 PM
The best time to scout is any time you can get out. You need to pattern birds for all times of the day, or your stuck to roosting. Take notes everytime you see or bump birds. Figure their daily patterns and you'll be hunting all day. 
X2.  Anytime you can is good.  Slow and quiet!!!

new2turkey