turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pheasant Loads again !!

Started by timbrhuntr, February 10, 2011, 07:04:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timbrhuntr

There was a big discussion before about the use of pheasant loads on turkeys. I decided to try out the pheasant load against several turkey specific shells I bought. You can figure it out for yourselves.

All shot at 30 yds. mossberg 20 gauge grand slam turkey shotgun. 22" barrel, I.C. .555 choke. Hits in 10 inch circle.

Winchester super x super pheasant 3", 1.25 oz.#6, 178
Remington HD wingmaster 3", 1.25 oz.#6, 140
Federal Heavy weight 3", 1.50 oz.#6, 161 also shot in mossberg xxfull turkey choke and it was much less
Remington premium magnum turkey load 3", 1.25 oz.#6, 142
Winchester supreme 3", 1.25 oz.#5, 137
Heavyshot 3", 1.25 oz.#6, 205

Out of all 6 the heavyshot had the highest count and best pattern but the pheasant load wasn't far behind it for pattern.
I have some pics that I may post later.  

BOFF

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot the pheasant load out of that gun with the numbers you posted.

God Bless,
David B.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quote25 more pellets for twice the price doesn't seem worth the premium

True, but at 40 Yards you will see much better numbers with the HTL.

sugarray

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on February 10, 2011, 07:53:38 PM
Quote25 more pellets for twice the price doesn't seem worth the premium

True, but at 40 Yards you will see much better numbers with the HTL.

Doesn't really matter if you limit your shots to 35 and less.  That will definitely kill that far.  I would bet it will hold together to give good killing patterns at 40 yds.

TrackeySauresRex

:icon_thumright: I have some of the golden phesant loads by Fiocci. I'm curious to see how the nickel plated do out of my son's 20.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

R AJ

I am willing to say that the Win pheasant loads outperform the Fiocchi shells at 30 yards and 40 yards. Give us a report and lets see.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: RAJ on February 10, 2011, 10:48:49 PM
I am willing to say that the Win pheasant loads outperform the Fiocchi shells at 30 yards and 40 yards. Give us a report and lets see.

Raj, When the weather warms up and the snow melts I'm gonna get out and do some shootin.Will post
B-Well
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

surehuntsalot

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on February 10, 2011, 08:41:49 PM
  :icon_thumright: I have some of the golden phesant loads by Fiocci. I'm curious to see how the nickel plated do out of my son's 20.

I also have some that I 'm going to try in the 870 youth
it's not the harvest,it's the chase