OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public WMA access denied/ how to handle?

Started by SpurNJ, April 16, 2017, 03:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpurNJ

Hi All

A little help requested.

Looking to access a verified WMA and only access is between a small maybe 50ft gap between private properties.

Neighbors have marked it with Private Property and no hunting signs... but you can see WMA signs there as well marking road access.

Went to scout there and a neighbor came out and walked over to truck and told me there's no access...  I was cordial and told them I understood and left..

Called and spoke to a local CO and verified that there is access..   what to do??

Print out all land info (prop-boundaries from google maps)? And bring with me?  Not really looking to be an a**. But it is in my right..  not looking to make hunters look bad also.

What are experiences from all with this?  How'd you handle it?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bowguy

Bowguy

I'd tear the private prop signs down in front of him too. He has no right blocking you from access we paid for. Let him know any more nonsense n you'll get him for hunter harassment, he can't prevent you from legally accessing a spot

SpurNJ

Yep... thinking the same here Bowguy!!  My gut says do it...  but no looking for it to get hairy...  plus... not looking for crap done to vehicle... maybe  will call CO again and have em pull the signs this week...   

Marc

We have some land-locked public land here in CA.  Really no legal access. and the only way to get on is from permission from one of the nearby property owners...

There are a couple of spots, that have small corners of public access as well...  Parking can be the issue here.

However, there are other times, that private owners will put up signs to prevent public use, even if it is not legal.  Unfortunately, legal or not, you might return to your car to find slashed tires or other vandalism...

Were it me, I would take a map and go to the local DFG or sheriff's office and ask them where you can enter, and explain your situation (that you would like to be able to legally hunt land that you have a legal right to without breaking any laws or tresspassing).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: Marc on April 16, 2017, 05:29:24 PM
We have some land-locked public land here in CA.  Really no legal access. and the only way to get on is from permission from one of the nearby property owners...

There are a couple of spots, that have small corners of public access as well...  Parking can be the issue here.

However, there are other times, that private owners will put up signs to prevent public use, even if it is not legal.  Unfortunately, legal or not, you might return to your car to find slashed tires or other vandalism...

Were it me, I would take a map and go to the local DFG or sheriff's office and ask them where you can enter, and explain your situation (that you would like to be able to legally hunt land that you have a legal right to without breaking any laws or tresspassing).

Agreed, let your tax dollars work for you by allowing the authorities to straighten out the situation. If you take matters into your own hands you are going to have stressful and possibly dangerous situations to handle. You may also have legal issues to tend with if you are wrong about the access road.

SpurNJ

Makes sense!!

Will let my fingers do the walking and get me into some birds!!!

May opt to MTB in too in real stealth mode...   

Opening Day 1 week away!!  Good luck everyone!!

Thanks again

guesswho

Quote from: Bowguy on April 16, 2017, 04:24:41 PM
Walk in n screw the a hole.
Pretty much my view on it as well.  And if he wanted to push the issue I'd hang out after my hunt until the law git there to sort it out.   If it turns out I was wrong Id apologize and not come back, if I was right I'd be back the next time I wanted to hunt there.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

CMBOSTC

If your wrong, an appology may not be good enough. Tresspassing is against the law.

guesswho

If a local CO verified before hand, I wouldn't be be to worried about it. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bowguy

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on April 16, 2017, 06:14:16 PM
If your wrong, an appology may not be good enough. Tresspassing is against the law.
He said he already contacted the COs.
Get ONX hunt maps n see check further n see who owns it but if the CO told me dif I'd just go

WNCTracker

Quote from: guesswho on April 16, 2017, 06:06:02 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on April 16, 2017, 04:24:41 PM
Walk in n screw the a hole.
Pretty much my view on it as well.  And if he wanted to push the issue I'd hang out after my hunt until the law git there to sort it out.   If it turns out I was wrong Id apologize and not come back, if I was right I'd be back the next time I wanted to hunt there.
I'm pretty passive but someone posting public land needs to have their balances checked.  Screw that d-bag and shoot "his" gobblers

CMBOSTC

I know what he said that he had already done, I wouldn't feel comfortable until the CO went to the location and verified it and possibly had a conversation with the land owner. Just not worth the headache to me.

SpurNJ

Yep key here will be to let the CO do it... after all.. they are there to support the hunters and their safety !!

CMBOSTC

The only way this guy that is posting erroneously will learn his lesson is by getting a ticket.