turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

substitute for hydro dipping

Started by church, March 22, 2022, 02:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

church

I have a 1187 youth compact with a sumtoy mount and Burris fast fire that I absolutely love. Shoots an incredible pattern with Rogue #9s. I have kinda been getting over the problem of rusting for 2 seasons now. It has just gotten progressively worse. Now, I take it on a hunt and no matter if its wet or dry, I come home with a thin patina of rust on the barrel/knob on the foreend/reciever. I don't have enough money to get it hydro dipped or cerakoted so does anyone have a solution?

Mossyguy

Look at the Mossy Oak camo gun skins...

church

I just saw them. Ever tried them out?

Ranman

I use rattle can krylon. Works great, and hold up well. Use your imagination. My favorite has been to put on a few colors and then use a sea spong to dab contrasting patterns all over. Then apply 2-3 coats of satin clear.

tnanh

Rustoleum. Works and lasts and you can make your own camo pattern. Just google it or search on this forum. Follow the advice and it will last a long time. I have a very ugly one I did and it kills turkeys with no more rust. Some have done them and looks better than any store bought camo I have seen. I am no artist for sure.

Ranman

tnanh

That is one of the ones I was talking about in my earlier post that looks very good. Nice job.

RED NECK

I would go to the dollar store and buy a pack of sponges,cut one,or however many you need into 1" pieces and use some spray paint,whatever color you prefer and camo it up. I have paid for hydro dipping,put a dozen at least gun wraps on and painted a handful,including an 870 20 gauge. I like the sponge & spray paint way for a $ per what you get, imo. I just spray paint 3-5 different colors on a piece of cardboard and then dip sponge in and then go to town on gun.

The sponge spray paint job is the bottom gun.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

bwhana

I have also used sponges, and they work well, but found that wadded up plastic grocery bags give an even better pattern with this method for some reason.