Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

rain and thunderstorms- stay home or go?

Started by austinc, April 09, 2017, 11:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinc

Tomorrow morning is the opener here in AR. The high is 72, calling for scattered thunderstorms and 40% chance of rain til noon with 10-15 mph winds and gusts 20+. It goes up to 80% rain and thunderstorms in the evning. I have a couple birds located on public land and they like to strut in clearing just over a 1.25 mile from the closest road. Camera showed they'd get there between 12-2 and one bird may come 2 or 3 days in a row then next it'd be a different bird. I have tomorrow scheduled off work, should I just save that day for a better time to hunt and go to work? Or go take my chances of getting rained on lol. I've never tried to hunt them when it was raining or storming.

austinc

Also I wanted to add that to get to this spot it's an hour and 20 minute drive for me one way. If it was only 10 or 15 minutes I wouldn't hesitate going at all

MK M GOBL

I'd hunt unless you are actually taking about "Dangerous" weather I hunt, we have killed birds in heavy winds and downpours. Turkeys have to live in it everyday, I have my bad weather bird tactics and you don't have a chance if you're not out there.

Bad Weather Birds!!

MK M GOBL

renegade19

I'd go as long as it wasn't dangerous.  Thunder makes em gobble sometimes.  They still have to conduct their daily business.

ilbucksndux

I will always go,but admit that there was a day last week that it was 40* 20+ wind and raining sideways..............I went back in the house and made a pot of coffee and waited it it stopped.
Gary Bartlow

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Boilermaker

I agree with go!  Rainy days can mean success.  If it's raining hard, bust out the blind and try and setup on the edge of a field with decoys.  Bring a thermos of coffee, sit back and enjoy!  Rain or shine, I'm out there when the season comes!  Best of luck!

eggshell

Oh definitely stay home.....wet turkeys stink when you have to carry them out :funnyturkey:

Now if you were in my neck of the woods I would volunteer to keep an eye on that field for ya that day! :TooFunny:

austinc

Well i ended up going and it was very uneventful. Seen about 2 dozen trucks on the way to my spot and finally got in and never heard or seen a turkey. I stayed on that mountain and around that plot and 2 others where these turkeys have been frequenting til 1:00 and nothing. But that's just how it goes sometimes. I only heard 1 shot this morning, so I'm guessing there wasn't many gobbling up there. It was windy as all get out and rained off and on but not enough to get ya wet. The forcast was wrong on that lol

tha bugman

If season is open...I am going...regardless of weather..birds fly down in the morning, birds fly up in the evening, just like they do all year long.

Erno86

Be aware...that white oak trees are a prime lightning target, because they have the deepest roots around.

HFultzjr

As my dad used to say.........Fish don't come out when it's raining.
I don't think turkey do either. Probably they just stay inside nice and dry.

Now seriously, if it's not dangerous, you have a chance of getting a bird if you go.
If you stay home, 100% chance you won't get one.

Be like me, go out, enjoy what you can, then wish you would have stayed home. But, if you stay home, you will always be wondering "what if I had been there"?

:fud: :OGani:

Happy

It ain't my favorite but I hunt whenever I can. One of my most memorable hunts involved sitting in a thunderstorm with water literally ran down my legs as two toms gobbled at every clap of thunder.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

Here is the best answer I think I can give you. Yesterday was hard rain and storms off and on and I worked a bird 1 1/2 hrs. It rained all night and let up just before daylight but was windy. I went for a hunt before church and only heard two birds, but one of them ended up at the end of my gun barrel.

22lbs
11.5" beard
1 3/8 "  spurs

The big boys dance in the rain.

fallhnt

Rain yes...be careful about T-storm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy