OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for advice on chokes from knowledgeable gunners

Started by HogBiologist, February 10, 2011, 06:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

Ok I need to set up a gun with good chokes.  It has a 28" barrel with a constant .728" diameter ID (+-.003).  I am looking at several Chokes right now.

Tru Glo Strut Stopper Extreme .643 ED  giving .085 constriction
Tru Glo Gobble Stopper Extreme  .665 ED        .063 Cons.
Tru Glo Gobble Stopper  .655 ED              .073 Cons
Primos Tight Wad         .660  ED              .068
Mad Calls Super Max      .675                  .053
HS Undertaker HD          .675                  .053

Any input would be appreciated.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

pullit

What gun is it and what shell are you planning to use?

HogBiologist

Typo SK, sorry. fixed it.  I am planning to try the mag blends 3" 2oz.  I am still using my Fed HW # as well.  THe gun is a stoger uplander SxS. 12 gauge.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

SKFOOTER

Please let me know how the Fed. Hvwyght #7's do and which choke patterned them best.  I'm still trying to find the magic choke for that shell in my M1 12 gauge.

VAHUNTER

with a 728 bore and the H13 MB i would try a .660-.665 to start with
Good things come to those who wait

sugarray

I think you are going to have to have one for each.  The HW will like a little tighter choke and the MB more open, IMHO.

SumToy

If you go with lead or Winchester Heavy I would go with a 660.  If you going to run HV-13 I found the bigger 675 to 680 will give good kill pattern.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Reloader

JH or IC for the hevis, can't help on your HWs.

Those aren't on you list, but worth the extra IMO. I've tried several cheap chokes in various rigs and found the more expensive chokes to be worth the price difference in most all cases. 

You don't mention your desired range?  If only 40, just about any "turkey" choke will do just fine with HTL.

I've had descent luck with a TW in a rem.

PM pullit, he has a stoger and has ran several chokes in it.  I believe he ended up going with an IC for hevi.

He may still have some chokes for sale in the classifieds as well.