Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what useful gadgets do you put in the vest?

Started by Disney, April 06, 2017, 07:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I usually am hiking well before daylight and use a headlamp.  It's nice to have a red bulb for once I get close to turkey roosting spots. 

walk_n_squawk24

toilet paper and bug spray..the ultimate necessities haha

Kylongspur88

Of course TP, but I always carry a screw in tree umbrella. I think I paid $20 for it. Not much use in a downpour but works great for light rain and can double as a half blind. Seriously, $20 well spent.

mightyjoeyoung

I bought one of those inspection lights.  You know?  The ones with the VERY precise,  bright beam that makes a nice, even, perfect circle.  I mounted a green filter to it and use it once I feel my headlamp would give me away to birds on the roost.  It doesn't bleed ANY light to the sides and I can still very easily find my way in the pitch black.  I've tested it compared to a headlamp with a buddy about 25 feet in his treestand and he could see my head lamp HUNDREDS of yards away, but couldn't see the inspection light until much, much closer.  In addition, I ALWAYS carry my thermacell.  The inventor of that thing should seriously get the Nobel. ..
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BTH

Small survival kit, small personal first aid kit, snacks, thermacell, extra butane and mat,  range finder, small headlamp with red light mode, Leatherman tool, TP in 2 ziplocs, Thermaflask of water and a turkey toter dowel with paracord, ratchet clippers and folding saw. If gameland hunting I carry an extra Mt bike tube and a CO2 inflator and tire tool.
Phil 4:13

Sir-diealot

I carry a camera for when I finally do get my first turkey, flashlight in case it is needed going in though I find I like to use a red or green clip on light that clips to my hat bill. A change of socks, batteries, cell phone, normally some pepperoni and pre peeled hard boiled eggs and a chunk of cheese. (I am on the Atkins Diet so everything has to be low carb and as close to zero sugar as possible) Some damp paper towels in a zip lock bag to wash hands off after eating so as not to mess up my calls. Small campers salt and pepper shaker for the eggs. TP 2 knives at least, knife sharpener, zip ties to put tag on bird, multi tool with scissors, Hobo knife, fork, spoon, corkscrew combo if I have brought along something hot to eat when I get back to the van. Something to drink. Also I keep a old blood donor card, old drivers license and contact info in my backpack, back tag and wallet in case there is an emergency. Aleve with some cotton balls stuffed in bottle to keep them from rattling as I won't take my oxycodone when I am driving or handling a firearm. Of course calls, sandpaper, chalk, green scotch bright pad, decoys and something blaze orange in case I get one. Also I went out and bought a bunch of camouflage handkerchiefs/bandanas to both blow nose and wipe sweat away. I am shocked at how many people will pull out a red, white, blue or black handkerchief to blow their nose or wipe sweat away, it is just asking to get shot at during turkey season. (Or a white one during deer season) I also have to use a cane on some terrain so I bought one with the V in it to help stabilize gun and the V comes off and I can screw camera to it for a less shakes picture. I know what you are thinking but where I hunt I don't have to walk far and some of that is left behind in a dry box in the blind if I am hunting where I can safely leave stuff.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

JonD.

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on March 21, 2018, 03:23:03 AM
I bought one of those inspection lights.  You know?  The ones with the VERY precise,  bright beam that makes a nice, even, perfect circle.  I mounted a green filter to it and use it once I feel my headlamp would give me away to birds on the roost.  It doesn't bleed ANY light to the sides and I can still very easily find my way in the pitch black.  I've tested it compared to a headlamp with a buddy about 25 feet in his treestand and he could see my head lamp HUNDREDS of yards away, but couldn't see the inspection light until much, much closer.  In addition, I ALWAYS carry my thermacell.  The inventor of that thing should seriously get the Nobel. ..

I have found that as long as you keep your light pointed straight down at the ground, turkeys won't spook off the roost. If you let it shine away from you even very slightly, and especially if you turn it upward they will fly outta there fast.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

JonD.

An oddball thing I carry when I'm hunting with decoys is a 3/8 black pipe tee. It works great to push decoy stakes into hard ground.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

High plains drifter

Rope, a military belt for carrying bird.I've taken a little camp stove.a wash towel to remove camo, other things.

Sir-diealot

Forgot, I also carry my Epipen in case I get stung as I am allergic to bees and my Asthma pump in case I have an attack.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeytider

Not a vest or pack item, but a gun rest for my left knee. An hour or so, real still with a shotgun on the knee cap? Pure misery !  Oh, and always carry a good knife. Where I hunt, don`t really need all the survival gear.

Tail Feathers

A Primos slick stick takes care of all my pot call tuning and maintenance in the field, and it's quiet and all in one thing.
Wet wipes are handy for a few reasons.

A couple of the larger wire ties (like bread wrapper ties) to put tags on.  They will last a few seasons.  After reading a post above, I may switch to a longer piece of string for that purpose.  That could be handy for a few other things too.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mufishgrad

It's a little larger than most of these gadgets listed here, but I like to carry a 4 panel stake blind with me into the woods. It doesn't do well to fully conceal you, especially if you're taller, but it works wonders in breaking up your outline a little more and helping conceal the use of friction calls. First time I used one I had a hard time finding my set-up when I was finished with pursuit of a bird that gave me the slip.