OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Call Shy?

Started by guesswho, February 10, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

I agree with the "people" shy.A turkey aint got enough brain in his head to figure out if thats somebody calling or a hen makin the noise.If they could figure that out we would never kill one.I think "call shy" has become the common excuse for giving up too soon or too easy.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

ClayW

No such thing...birds just react to the current situation at hand. Sometime they like aggressive calling and the next day they don't. Same thing applies to decoys

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Spurs

When I hear "call shy" I think of duck hunting.  A duck isn't call shy, they just prefer different things on different days.  Every day in the woods is different and you have to adjust to that situation.  Same with decoys, camo, possition, and aggression.  Same thing with a turkey.  I believe guesswho said it best...Adapt and Kill!!!
This year is going to suck!!!

ThicketThrasher

Quote from: stinkpickle on February 10, 2011, 06:40:31 PM
He's just not desperate.  He wants the hen (or whatever is making the hen sound) to come to him.  That's all.  If he knew it was a person making the sound, he'd be more evasive than just hanging up and casually wandering off.

i agree 100%.

shootumindaface

Quote from: ThicketThrasher on February 10, 2011, 08:44:34 PM
He's just not desperate.  He wants the hen (or whatever is making the hen sound) to come to him.  That's all.  If he knew it was a person making the sound, he'd be more evasive than just hanging up and casually wandering off.

i agree 100%.
Totally missed Stinkys post.. But its sho nuff correct..

"Ill be right there bubba, gonna go gobble at this hunter a few more times to get under his skin"

VAHUNTER

Quote from: ThicketThrasher on February 10, 2011, 08:44:34 PM

i agree 100%.
thats about right. i have hunted birds early and late that seemed to hate me and anything i tried to do that i thought would bring them in. give them 2 or 3 days and have them about to break there own neck trying to get to me. it all depends on how lonely the bird is sometimes
Good things come to those who wait

Shotgun

I agree with what many others have said.  Basically many times a gobbler has no need for another hen.  The hens with him sure don't want any competition so they carry the gobbler the other way. 

There are also times when he has feeding on his mind and nothing else.

These situations make me start thinking outside box.

socalturkeyman

people shy for sure. I think if you sit on the side of a road and call to birds all year than you hunt those same birds. And your close to the location you did your off season calling than ya I guess their not gonna come running. I think its best to be in the spots they like to head to than to just sit anywhere and try to call them in. Just my 2 cents.
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

jbrown

Usually henned up or could be people pressure.

Skeeterbait

I don't think a turkey has the mental capacity to be call shy.  Don't think they have that kind of memory.  More likely they are hen'ed up and not willing to leave what they already have. 

harvester

I don't believe there are such things as call shy birds. It just depends on what the hens are doing. You will hear more people say that the birds are more call shy during the peak breeding time, just because the birds stop gobbling at everything they hear and the hens are with them, don't mean you can't kill them. Most of the time the birds have a struttin zone they like and will stay in that area for most of the day. Do your homework and find out where those areas are and you will be carrying another one out of the woods. JMO.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: guesswho on February 10, 2011, 05:54:52 PM
Shootem's overcalling thread got me to thinking.  Is there such a thing as a call shy bird, or is it just another excuse like henned up?

Thats a tough one.  I do agree they can get people shy and hens can make them seem call shy.  I wouldn't really use the term call shy since I dont think there going to run from someone or a real hen that sounds like a turkey. I also believe that some, though very few, gobblers are hermits and dont participate in the breeding ritual.  Just another thing in the turkey world that we will never know for sure.

hookedspur

To much hunting pressure maybe, but if your singing the right song he will fall in love with you.  :z-flirtysmile3:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

unclerick

I hear what ya'll say about being people shy which is just another name for call shy BUT, we have an old bird were we hunt that we call the "old man". He is what we call a hermit tom, stays all by him self till spring then you see him with 4 or 5 hens and he stays with them for a long time. You can hear him gobble in the mournings and as soon as you hit a call, any call he shuts up, he is even decoy smart, I've seen this bird after fly down go 100yrds out of his way from a call and want even look at a decoy.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

shootumindaface

Quote from: unclerick on February 10, 2011, 10:44:33 PM
I hear what ya'll say about being people shy which is just another name for call shy
I really dont see these two as the same