turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Let me just say...

Started by SteelerFan, May 09, 2017, 04:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

I'm loving the 20. Pleasure to carry. Deadly. (1st 20 ga kill)

shedhunta

You are da man!!!!!   Congrats

skimerhorn

You didn't want to get the receiver drilled and tapped? I'm looking into a very similar setup

Greg Massey

I have the same setup with saddle mount and simmons pro diamond scope...love it...nothing wrong with a saddle mount...with the saddle you can still see your sights....congrats on the bird....and gun....  just make sure you get the right saddle mount....

SteelerFan

Quote from: skimerhorn on May 09, 2017, 08:08:16 PM
You didn't want to get the receiver drilled and tapped? I'm looking into a very similar setup

Drilled and tapped is great. But I committed to a budget. That conversion was completed for $200 (minus gun - had that). The raised comb on the stock makes it a great fit, even with saddle mount.

Natty Bumpo

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 09, 2017, 08:25:25 PM
I have the same setup with saddle mount and simmons pro diamond scope...love it...nothing wrong with a saddle mount...with the saddle you can still see your sights....congrats on the bird....and gun....  just make sure you get the right saddle mount....

"just be sure you get the right saddle mount"

ROGER THAT!!

Just went through a nightmare with an older REM 870 Magnum Express. It will wind up as a "do all" starter shotgun for the grandkids someday soon. So ordered the B-Square SM and took to my gunsmith and it didn't fit, pin holes didn't line up exactly. Dittos on the Aimtech. Neither company has a "CLUE" on which REM 870 20's their mounts WILL FIT AND WHICH THEY WON'T FIT.    :z-dizzy:

Just horrible CS responses from both. Having a D&T mounting process done as we speak.

NB

g8rvet

You can't kill a bird with a little old 20.  You need 2.5 ounce 3.5" turkey loads in a 12 gauge that knock your fillings loose every time you shoot! 

Congrats on the first of your many yella shell kills!  I love it when folks see me carrying my little pop gun and ask "WTH are you carrying?".   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

chatterbox

Quote from: g8rvet on May 11, 2017, 12:45:31 PM
You can't kill a bird with a little old 20.  You need 2.5 ounce 3.5" turkey loads in a 12 gauge that knock your fillings loose every time you shoot! 

Congrats on the first of your many yella shell kills!  I love it when folks see me carrying my little pop gun and ask "WTH are you carrying?".   
This^^^^^^^^
My kids and myself just completed the 20 ga. sweep!
2 with my oldest kiddo's gun, and one with mine.
Absolutely devastates turkeys!

Greg Massey

agree, funny....what people will say about our little old 20 gauges ....

SteelerFan

How true! I'm a firm believer now. I've read about the 20's - but now I've seen it (and carried it!). Based on info from here, I set this up with a Sumtoy choke & the Fed HW 3" 1.5 oz #7's. What a pleasure to shoot. This bird was @ 32 yds? (tough to get a real pace in the mountain... but I stepped it off best I could).

I realize it doesn't take anything real special at that distance - but I was truly impressed. Came in full strut, and a couple of clucks "periscoped" his noggin. At the shot, he dropped like a rock.

g8rvet

Absolutely.  You are not handicapped at all with a 20.  I only have four 20 gauge kills.  37, 26, 30 and 33.  All dropped like any other bird I killed with a 12.   This year's bird would not come out of strut no matter what I did (dumb 2 year old), so I shot him when he peaked up a bit.  Stoned him. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Swampchickin234

Congrats!  Now you are hooked!  From now on, when you look at the arsenal, you will forever be "naw, I don't want to carry that big heavy thing".    I sincerely hope there are many more to come brother.  Good luck and God bless. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk