turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

High Density Shot Question

Started by Grant Flaming, April 10, 2011, 10:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Flaming

I know that high density loads like Hevi-13 and Federal Heavyweight pattern better than standard lead loads, but why is this? Is it just because more care is put into the manufacturing or does high density shot pattern tighter than softer lead? Also, I read that Hevi-13 is often far from round in shape so why does it pattern so well?

Thanks,
Grant

BigPeck215

hevi shot weighs more than lead so it is less affected by atmospheric conditions

imagine going golfing and hitting a golf ball and it goes 300yds dead straight, now hit  a ping pong ball and it will go all over the place because it is more effected by atmospheric conditions because it is lighter than the gold ball

also when the shot is fired with lead loads the lead is soft and compresses and this is detrimental to patterns, with hevi shot it does not compress so therefore patterns do not suffer

EM claims that the weird shapes of the hevi 13 allow it to cut thru the air with less wind resistance, at one time it was also supposed to be moly coated to lessen wind resistance also

Nimrodmar10

Quote from: BigPeck215 on April 10, 2011, 10:28:38 PM
EM claims that the weird shapes of the hevi 13 allow it to cut thru the air with less wind resistance,

What????

S.C.C

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on April 11, 2011, 06:46:18 AM
Quote from: BigPeck215 on April 10, 2011, 10:28:38 PM
EM claims that the weird shapes of the hevi 13 allow it to cut thru the air with less wind resistance,

What????

And the MOLY coating to... :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Must be more smokin going on on here than just SMOKED TURKEY!!! :toothy12:

BigPeck215

http://www.hevishot.com/catalog/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=20

if you will read the first paragraph EM clearly claims that their pellets are MOLY COATED

870supermagnum

HTL shot is harder physically than lead, so it doesn't deform in flight or on impact, and it weighs more than lead, so it holds it's energy longer down range.  Those two factors allow the shooter to come down a shot size (more pellets on target) and take longer shots safely (due to retained energy).    :z-winnersmiley:

S.C.C

Quote from: BigPeck215 on April 11, 2011, 09:22:39 AM
http://www.hevishot.com/catalog/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=20

if you will read the first paragraph EM clearly claims that their pellets are MOLY COATED

YES...the moly coating is on the shot to help protect your bbl./choke from scouring damage with use of the HEVI-SHOT!! :icon_thumright:

BigPeck215

Quote from: S.C.C on April 11, 2011, 09:36:02 AM
Quote from: BigPeck215 on April 11, 2011, 09:22:39 AM

YES...the moly coating is on the shot to help protect your bbl./choke from scouring damage with use of the HEVI-SHOT!! :icon_thumright:

thanks for the clarification, i was told that moly coating lessen wind resistance by EM in an e-mail last year

Grant Flaming

Thanks for the help. Not that I am doubting your answers but I have a question. The hardness helps the pellets not to deform under the strain of being fired but they are already deformed. Why wouldn't hevi shot pattern the same as lead of the same size? It doesn't make sense to me. Sorry for some silly questions but thanks for all the feedback!

Thanks,
Grant

Tom Foolery

Density, don't move as much over the same distance so your pattern center stays together longer is how I understand it.

870supermagnum

This season I'm shooting Winchester Supreme Elite Extended Range HD 3.5" #6s.  I just visited Winchester's website and they advertise the HD shot as being "rounder" for better flight aerodynamics.  So, maybe most or as least some of the shot deformity has been engineered out.   
:fud:    :newmascot: