OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Henned up Toms

Started by ThicketThrasher, April 10, 2011, 06:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThicketThrasher

Do any of you guys have a strategy when it comes to henned up birds. I'm hunting mountains in East Tennessee and every bird I have had gobble, has been with hens. Normally i can wait a little later in the day and sometimes they will come in to the call. This year they seem to go straight away from me after they gobble 4 or 5 times. It's early I know, but I am frustrated as I have walked the soles off my boots and haven't heard very many and when I do, they are already taken. Last Friday, I busted a Tom and 4 hens off the roost, which would be OK except they all flew straight off the mountain through a laurel jungle and I wasn't able to locate them again. I've tried everything-decoys, gobbles, fighting purrs and ambushing-still haven't killed a bird. I've tried hard to find a lone bird but so far haven't been able to locate one. What can I do? What do you guys do?

mightyjoeyoung

1.  Try calling to the hens...lost calls very early just before fly down can bring the hens running and the gobblers in tow.
2.  Position yourself where the hens want to go as the gobblers are gonna go with the hens until its nest time.
3.  Wait until after the hens go to nest and then go after em.
4.  Set up REAL CLOSE to the roost at zero-dark-thirty and put out a couple deeks where you know the tom can see them.
5.  Go home and take a nap till after the hens go to nest... :z-winnersmiley:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

cannonball

We must be hunting the same East Tenn birds, I am having the same problem as you are. I am hoping as the season goes on, the hens will leave the gobbler all alone and I will have a shot at him.

Hootowl

Find out where there going and get ahead of them and setup and Kill.

Hoot

gob4me

If your hunting the same birds every day, give them a break dont pressure them.Take a day off.If they are roosting together you may have better luck after 9:00 am.And certain hens are loyal to a certain gobbler and they are also territorial, once they are bred the gobbbler should run to your gun barrell.Good luck

870supermagnum

I think the gobblers in TN are talking to ones in FL.  I'm having the same problem here in NE FL. Thanks for posting this question.  I'm going to try hunting them later in the day (0900 +).    :fud:

bayou gobbler

i have had the same problem in Louisiana.  The one i killed this year was in the evening and wasnt around hens but did not gobble any.  I will try a few of these strategies and see if they help.  thanks!!

BowBendr

I'm hunting right across the state line in NC from you guys and i'm seeing the same thing you east Tenn. guys are.
Saturday was one of the most frustrating days i've had bird hunting in a long time.
They'll break loose here in a week or so. I've hardly ever had much success early in the season up here in the mountains. Seems like everything is a week or two behind, and the henned up birds make the first 2 weeks of the season a challenge.

ThicketThrasher

I think one of the keys is usually to get somewhere that you can walk a long ways and sometimes you will strike a bird by himself. But that hasn't worked for me this year. I am going in the morning to some NF that offers some decent walking and I'm not coming out until I have a bird or it gets dark.

cannonball

Good luck, hope you get a nice one. :anim_25:

Trevor2

What part of east tn you boys huting, I'm in morgan county and same thing here
Strutstopper

cannonball

Quote from: Trevor2 on April 14, 2011, 10:05:56 PM
What part of east tn you boys huting, I'm in morgan county and same thing here

I live in Knoxville. I hunt in Grainger County just inside Rutledge.

I hate turkeys

Same in west TN they are kicking my bottom. They just will not talk to me know matter what I do. I have called hens and jakes to within 15 ft. toms will not gobble.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

gunnerj

Have you guys tried to mimic the boss hen to piss her off and bring her in?

cannonball

Quote from: gunnerj on April 15, 2011, 02:50:45 PM
Have you guys tried to mimic the boss hen to piss her off and bring her in?

Yes. So far no luck with that either