OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi shot problem??

Started by a-j calls, April 10, 2011, 11:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a-j calls

I have seen several post about hevi shot this year, with various lot numbers, is there a problem some are encountering?

BigPeck215

some people are encountering problems with the 7's in 3.5 and 3", my 3" new lot shot very well for me,

its hard to compare apples to apples because there are so many variables that come into play when patterning a turkey gun,

things such as barrel cleanliness, choke cleanlinees, temperature, wind, humidity, manufactures shell tolerances, even things such as how hot the shell is can effect patterns, i've shot two identical shells, one that sat out in 80 degree sun for 1 hr and another that was in the cool trunk and the one heated up drastically outperformed the cold one

unless a person is shooting the under the same EXACT conditions as they were last year you are comparing apples to oranges not apples to apples     

Mag10

Sounds like we need to get a 9 volt chamber heater for our turkey thumpers.  If we heat the round up 30 degrees, do we get 30 % better patterns?  Even if you got 30 more pellets in the 10 ring.   How about when the temp is 35 degrees and the shell is 90 degrees?  This needs to be checked out.   The guys from BPI used to put there goose loads in a playmate cooler with heaters  back in the early 80's because the loads they shot were much stronger when kept warm.

Dwnforce