turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 Not Accurate! Help!

Started by Solid Snake, April 09, 2011, 10:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solid Snake

I patterned my gun today for the first time and I'm glad I did bc it's shooting low and to the right quite a bit. I just use a fiber optic sight that hooks into the bead. The gun is almost new - probably been shot less than 100 times.

I was shooting at 40 yards and it was off probably a good 12". Need some help  :-\

Tom Foolery

Williams Slugger sights or some kind of optics.

Solid Snake

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 10, 2011, 05:41:17 AM
Williams Slugger sights or some kind of optics.

I guess my question is why is it shooting off target that much? I'm sure I could put some optics on it and get it where it needs to be but I don't have the $$$ to spend this season on it. I'm banking on winning the Burris FF2 Bingo this week though :)

What would make it that much off? I just cleaned the barrel too.

TalksToTurkeys

The choke can change your POI considerably. You could try a different one.

Solid Snake

Quote from: TalksToTurkeys on April 10, 2011, 12:05:50 PM
The choke can change your POI considerably. You could try a different one.

Really? I didn't know that!

It's a jellyhead .665 - I paid $50 for that thing!!

sugarray

Not just the choke, but the loads as well.  It is just part of turkey hunting for the vast majority of hunters that pattern their guns.

mossy835

Also check the way you shoulder the gun. You can be low left or right depending on how the shotgun is against your shoulder. This is easier seen and corrected with a person watching you shoot and almost impossible to detect by the average shooter. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Mike

Beretta686

Every 870 I own shoot 6 inches low. I changed my poi by adding a cheek-ez pad to the comb. Works every time and I hit where I am aiming.

Look a the corner of your ceiling, make sure your gun is unloaded, focus on the spot and raise your gun like you are going to shoot it. I bet it will be low. Raise the comb and you will be dead on. Some guns like the Benelli and the Berettas come with shims you can replace to make the poi where you want it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

Solid Snake

Quote from: Beretta686 on April 11, 2011, 01:42:49 PM
Every 870 I own shoot 6 inches low. I changed my poi by adding a cheek-ez pad to the comb. Works every time and I hit where I am aiming.

Look a the corner of your ceiling, make sure your gun is unloaded, focus on the spot and raise your gun like you are going to shoot it. I bet it will be low. Raise the comb and you will be dead on. Some guns like the Benelli and the Berettas come with shims you can replace to make the poi where you want it.

Hmm So maybe it's something I'm doing. I did just put on the ShurShot stock and fore-end - do you think that has anything to do with it? I remember people talking about shimming, but I didn't really know what they meant. I will try your trick when I get home. Thanks!

Mossy I had no idea - I thought you just put the bead on whatever you were aiming at and that's where it went.

mossy835

Something to try:
Put your shotgun on anything that will hold it stable even a pillow on the hood of your vehicle. As said above make sure it is unloaded (I leave the action open). Look down the barrel without putting the gun to your shoulder and take hold of the toe of our stock (lower portion of the recoil pad) and twist the stock right and left while watching the point of aim change. That is what happens to many in the field, not critical on short shots with say #8 shot but at forty yards it can change your day. That is why the advice above is good advice on the shims and a cheek pad. It is important to shoulder the gun square each time you are going to shoot.

Reloader

Most of the time POI issues are from the choke job at the factory not being concentric with the bore.  Chokes also have different POIs many times and various ammo often tends to shoot to different POIs.  H13 is probably the worst I've seen as far as POI when compared to other loads such as various lead loads.

Solid Snake

Quote from: Reloader on April 11, 2011, 03:37:45 PM
Most of the time POI issues are from the choke job at the factory not being concentric with the bore.  Chokes also have different POIs many times and various ammo often tends to shoot to different POIs.  H13 is probably the worst I've seen as far as POI when compared to other loads such as various lead loads.

So what should I do if it's my choke? Call Primos and try to get it replaced?

I guess I could put an improved cylinder choke on and shoot a couple slugs through it to see if it's accurate that way.

sugarray

No, you just need to get some sort of adjustable sight.  This will get you dead on.  If you like fiber optics then go with the Williams Slugger sites or the TruGlo Magnum Gobble Dot Pro.

If you like a scope then there are lots of tube style red dots that are great.

If you are open to an open red dot then the Mueller Quick Shot and the Burris FF II are awesome and easy to set up.  The FOV with these is 100X that of a tube style and you don't have to align a front and rear sight.  Dot -> Neck -> Bang -> Dead turkey.

turkey slayer

Quote from: mossy835 on April 10, 2011, 05:18:14 PM
Also check the way you shoulder the gun. You can be low left or right depending on how the shotgun is against your shoulder. This is easier seen and corrected with a person watching you shoot and almost impossible to detect by the average shooter. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Mike
I agree just a little bit of a diff grip could be throwing you off.

Reloader

Quote from: Shaw24 on April 13, 2011, 07:38:54 AM
Quote from: Reloader on April 11, 2011, 03:37:45 PM

So what should I do if it's my choke? Call Primos and try to get it replaced?

I guess I could put an improved cylinder choke on and shoot a couple slugs through it to see if it's accurate that way.

I meant the choke job on the bbl, not the choke itself.  However, diff chokes usually shoot to diff POIs at times.  I've taken 3 chokes and received 3 diff POIs in several guns.  Swapping from JH to JH will probably give you similar POIs, although I have seen the same models give slightly diff POIs in the same gun. 

You may get a diff POI with a diff brand choke, I'd just borrow one to see if it changes.  With the amount you are talking, you are most likely going to need to go to adjustable sights as mentioned by others.  You're only other option is to have the bbl bent slightly to correct the problem.

My most rescent example on choke POI differences was on an SX3.  JH shot approx 8" low, PG shot approx 6-8" left, SD shot dead on with the bead.

If they bored the choke portion of the bbl terribly off center, it will most likely not be fixed by a swap in chokes.

Good Luck

Reloader