Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help please...off topic patterning problems...

Started by 1iagobblergetter, March 18, 2017, 09:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1iagobblergetter

I was patterning turkey guns today and decided I'd bring my 870 Cantilever shotgun ( Leupold scope/rifled barrel, Winchester supreme sabots for shells)off a gun rest and using a lead sled) and pattern that while I was at it. I was shooting threw the same holes after making a few adjustments,but it was only at 30 ish yards. Just checking poa/poi. Then I moved back to 100yds shot and it hit right 6 to 8in and 6 to 8in high.Shot again right 6 to 8in and low 6 to 8in. Shot again and it was dead center but 6 to 8in right. Very little to no wind,stock is tight, forend cap tight. It use to group better not sure what the problem is any help appreciated.

TRG3

I assume that you gave your barrel a good cleaning, including removing any plastic residue, before shooting.

1iagobblergetter

Ya. I pull clear apart and clean real thorough after season. Thanks. I like a challenge but pretty frustrating.

paboxcall

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Vinci1964

My slug gun is hold sensative. Hold it firmly against your shoulder and shoot a few rounds.

1iagobblergetter

Yep mounts are tight. I'll try shouldering it and shooting it. I did have it cinched down in the gun cradle when fired (strap over barrel right at the end of forearm built into the gun cradle). Was going to do some more patterning of turkey guns and slug gun today,but when I went out to shoot decided against it due to way to high of winds. Maybe tomorrow....

Tail Feathers

I tried a buddy's Lead Sled.  Couldn't hit for spit using it.  Not what I expected.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Dr Juice

I bet it's your forearm cap tightness. You need to mark your cap so it's in the same position and tension time after time.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Dr Juice on March 20, 2017, 07:43:50 AM
I bet it's your forearm cap tightness. You need to mark your cap so it's in the same position and tension time after time.
Is there such a thing as over tightening? I know I crank it down really tight just with fingers,but I about need channel locks to get the cap back off when I go to clean it.

Duffer58

I had the same issue sighting in slug guns and muzzle loaders on my lead sled.  In my situation I insured I was pulling the gun back into/down into the rests as the forearm and rear pads on the lead sled are spongy.  That greatly improved the consistency.  I also built myself a rock solid shooting bench.  Here are the plans.

http://www.horstguns.com/pdf/HandMcopyrightedshootingbench.pdf

It is a strong solid bench.  Downside is if you leave it mobile (don't set legs into the ground) it takes two guys to move or in my case loader forks on the tractor.  But is is solid.
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

1iagobblergetter

I'll shoot it again and make sure the guns pulled back tight. I'm also going to try shooting off the bench without it even though I bought it for the reason of not getting pummeled. Lol. Between shooting slugs and patterning turkey guns I use to take a beating before I bought one and also figured it would take away any human error.