OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Number of decoys in your usual setup and what kind?

Started by upnorth, March 17, 2017, 11:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gooserbat

ZERO

I believe less is more.  I hunt terain features and set up in ways as to force the bird to present itself in gun range.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: reynolds243 on March 21, 2017, 04:41:41 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 21, 2017, 04:04:16 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 19, 2017, 02:03:31 AM
I find it hard some people can't read.. He ask ..number of decoys in your usual setup and what kind ? So if you DON"T use decoys start your own post...   I myself use around 2 -4 depending on the time of year. Avian x....   You know whats funny is someone who posted, i use no decoys , posted a video using a turkey fan to repeat and kill a turkey last year... so i guess that's not using some kind of a decoy...  Sad..sad...
I think maybe your the one that can't read the question was number of decoys in usual set up ....the answer is zero. You should not be sad because someone else uses a decoy you should be sad that you have to.....lol

come on man people know exactly what the OP is asking if you read the title and his question dont be an A$$.  People feel the need to post 0 to prove they are soooo good they dont need one unlike some others.  I personally dont care to use them but then again ive had a time or 2 over the years where I did.  If you wanna say you dont need them then post that and explain why and some alternatives to using them.  If your not being helpful then whats the point of posting in a guys thread.
Last time I checked I was still in America so I will do or say what I want.I answered the question and if that upsets you then that is just an extra bonus lol

kdsberman

Used to carry like 3-4 several years ago, but nowadays I usually don't use them but do carry one at all times, and that's an Avian X feeding hen.  I will say though that since switching to Avian X I notice a big change in the turkeys behavior towards the decoy.  I credit the realistic look of the decoy and all the details of it.  The turkeys act more as if that's a real bird .  Can only imagine what that would be like with DSD's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reynolds243

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 22, 2017, 08:10:53 AM
Quote from: reynolds243 on March 21, 2017, 04:41:41 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 21, 2017, 04:04:16 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 19, 2017, 02:03:31 AM
I find it hard some people can't read.. He ask ..number of decoys in your usual setup and what kind ? So if you DON"T use decoys start your own post...   I myself use around 2 -4 depending on the time of year. Avian x....   You know whats funny is someone who posted, i use no decoys , posted a video using a turkey fan to repeat and kill a turkey last year... so i guess that's not using some kind of a decoy...  Sad..sad...
I think maybe your the one that can't read the question was number of decoys in usual set up ....the answer is zero. You should not be sad because someone else uses a decoy you should be sad that you have to.....lol

come on man people know exactly what the OP is asking if you read the title and his question dont be an A$$.  People feel the need to post 0 to prove they are soooo good they dont need one unlike some others.  I personally dont care to use them but then again ive had a time or 2 over the years where I did.  If you wanna say you dont need them then post that and explain why and some alternatives to using them.  If your not being helpful then whats the point of posting in a guys thread.
Last time I checked I was still in America so I will do or say what I want.I answered the question and if that upsets you then that is just an extra bonus lol

Don't upset me a bit bud. It's folks like you that add nothing to this forum.  The guy asked a question in a guidance board and you provided nothing to it. Sooo if your not gonna help the guy by providing insight or something helpful then why bother other then to stroke your own ego.  And what the hell does being an American have to do with anything lol. I'm sure you will have some stupid witty comment back to continue to add less to this topic so I'll just hang up and listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seminoleturkey

Thick woods I don't use any .but in open area I use at least one hen and dsd Jake .that dsd jake has brought in many toms for me .i never use just a hen in
Open area because a lot of times the Tom
Will get with in view and hang up and start strut which with my luck draw real hens to him .using the jake makes them come rushing in  looking to fight .lucky my dsd has armed security or he would have been beaten to crap a long time ago.

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

LaLongbeard

You can also use 3-4 deer decoys or 3d bow  targets as confidence decoys.Just make sure to remove the horns if the gobbler sees a deer decoy with horns in the spring he will know its fake.

Greg Massey

I'm just glad to know such a great bunch of turkey hunters. Nothing like A using NO decoys and sitting against a tree waiting to bushwhack a turkey. At least with a couple of decoys out i give the turkeys a decision of either shying away or coming into my setup. One hunter will tell you the moment a tom sees a decoy he comes running in to meet his mate and ends up meeting his maker. Another hunter will tell you that the moment a tom sees a decoy, he turns around and runs as fast as his legs will carry him. So i see using a decoy at least the turkey has more of a fair chance. If you don't want to use decoys that fine don't buy one. Also leave those high dollar shells and custom calls at home and just use lead shot shells and just a plain cheap call. Get you a shotgun with just a plain full choke and not one of those fancy screw in chokes leave those type guns at home. So if any of you don't think in some way your not taking advantage of turkeys by today's equipment then your not much of a turkey hunter.  Phillipshunt , you can make all the sarcastic remarks you want to people on this forum. But sarcastic remarks doesn't add nothing to what this person ask on this post...Good luck to people who use decoys and also good luck to those that don't..

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 24, 2017, 07:46:51 PM
I'm just glad to know such a great bunch of turkey hunters. Nothing like a using NO decoys and sitting against a tree waiting to bushwhack a turkey. At least with a couple of decoys out i give the turkeys a decision of either shying away or coming into my setup. One hunter will tell you the moment a tom sees a decoy he comes running in to meet his mate and ends up meeting his maker. Another hunter will tell you that the moment a tom sees a decoy, he turns around and runs as fast as his legs will carry him. So i see using a decoy at least the turkey has more of a fair chance. If you don't want to use decoys that fine don't buy one. Also leave those high dollar shells and custom calls at home and just use lead shot shells and just a plain cheap call. Get you a shotgun with just a plain full choke and not one of those fancy screw in chokes leave those type guns at home. So if any of you don't think in some way your not taking advantage of turkeys by today's equipment then your not much of a turkey hunter.  Phillipshunt , you can make all the sarcastic remarks you want to people on this forum. But sarcastic remarks doesn't add nothing to what this person ask on this post...Good luck to people who use decoys and also good luck to those that don't..

Great post Greg!!

If anything I am here to help out those who want to learn about differences in hunting tactics, equipment to use or in general share some info.  I do understand some do not care to use a decoy or don't understand how to hunt them "right" maybe they haven't learned that skill. I would guess if the guy asked "How to Hunt Without Using Decoys" I would have had another answer for him on that tactic to help him out...

MK M GOBL

LaLongbeard

I'm just glad to know such a great bunch of turkey hunters. Nothing like a using NO decoys and sitting against a tree waiting to bushwhack a turkey. At least with a couple of decoys out i give the turkeys a decision of either shying away or coming into my setup. One hunter will tell you the moment a tom sees a decoy he comes running in to meet his mate and ends up meeting his maker. Another hunter will tell you that the moment a tom sees a decoy, he turns around and runs as fast as his legs will carry him. So i see using a decoy at least the turkey has more of a fair chance. If you don't want to use decoys that fine don't buy one. Also leave those high dollar shells and custom calls at home and just use lead shot shells and just a plain cheap call. Get you a shotgun with just a plain full choke and not one of those fancy screw in chokes leave those type guns at home. So if any of you don't think in some way your not taking advantage of turkeys by today's equipment then your not much of a turkey hunter.  Phillipshunt , you can make all the sarcastic remarks you want to people on this forum. But sarcastic remarks doesn't add nothing to what this person ask on this post...Good luck to people who use decoys and also good luck to those that don't..
So you use a decoy to give the gobbler more of a chance?.....Does anybody proof read there message before posting?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 24, 2017, 08:07:26 PM
So you use a decoy to give the gobbler more of a chance?.....Does anybody proof read there message before posting?
Well you responded so you get the point.....You just need to stop cutting decoy people down and have more respect for your elders. You can cut my post down all you want, i retired after working 35 years at the same job with a great retirement, home is paid for and i have a 600 ac. farm that's paid for with a nice cabin and i don't have to lease or BUM off someone else to turkey hunt.  So good luck my friend...

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 24, 2017, 08:45:41 PM
Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 24, 2017, 08:07:26 PM
Well you responded so you get the point.....You just need to stop cutting decoy people down and have more respect for your elders. You can cut my post down all you want, i retired after working 35 years at the same job with a great retirement, home is paid for and i have a 600 ac. farm that's paid for with a nice cabin and i don't have to lease or BUM off someone else to turkey hunt.  So good luck my friend...
:TooFunny:  Now that's some good stuff right there!!!

LaLongbeard

Not sure how saying I dont use a decoy is putting anyone down maybe your to sensitive .I'm also not the only one that said zero for decoy usage. Lastly I'm not sure what your retirement has to do with your dependance on decoys .But I guess there's no limit to pour taste

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Phillipshunt on March 24, 2017, 09:45:28 PM
Not sure how saying I dont use a decoy is putting anyone down maybe your to sensitive .I'm also not the only one that said zero for decoy usage. Lastly I'm not sure what your retirement has to do with your dependance on decoys .But I guess there's no limit to pour taste
I think we need to take up donations and get this guy a certificate for free counseling...he's miserable...