OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Single Shots

Started by Double Tapped, March 14, 2017, 02:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Tapped

What's up y'all,

I've recently caught a bug to own an H&R Pardner or Topper in 12G with the intentions of making it a turkey specific gun. I've got several semi's & pumps but no single shots. 

I really just want an excuse to buy another gun  :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

I'm looking for some input on these models and the possibility of adding chokes to an already fixed barrel?

paboxcall

All I carry anymore is my NEF single shot 12 gauge.  It was the NWTF gun of the year about 20 years ago, factory dipped in original MO Bottomland. I bought one new, but quickly traded it for a Mossberg.  Regretted that choice for years, until four years ago spotted an NEF in Bottomland used on gunbroker.  I hit the buy now button immediately.

It came from the NEF factory threaded for choke tubes, but only a single bead sight.  I sent the barrel to SumToy and he drilled / tapped for fiber optic Williams sights.  Gun weighs about 5.5 lbs. It is my go-to dedicated turkey gun now.  Easy to carry, and though chambered for 3.5" I only shoot 3" Hevi #7 through it.

So to your question - you can have the barrel shortened and/or threaded to accept any choke tube thread pattern you want.  While its at the gunsmith, have them add fiber optic rifle sights to the barrel too.

Then when gunsmith ships it back, send it to be dipped in your favorite camo pattern (not necessary but fun).

A fixed full choke will kill turkeys to 40 yards all day, but the tube will improve the patterns and the sights will make you aim small.  Your choice.

Good luck with your project.  One piece of advice - you can do all the above but in 20 gauge, and shoot the Federal Heavyweights in #7 and kill turkeys all day out to 40 yards just the same but lighter package.  Just a thought...to do over I would skip the 12 gauge platform and go 20 gauge.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Bowguy

Welcome to OG. The only thing I'll add is single shots can be unsafe since none I'm aware of offer safeties. You basically pull the hammer back once ready to shoot. If the shot "goes away" you'd have to unload gun. Fine for an experienced hunter but unsafe for beginners so be careful who you hand it to.
Personally I shotgun hunt, when I shotgun hunt, w a HR slugger. Same system but just be careful

Double Tapped

thanks y'all

I think I'll keep the original color, the blue'd look really catches my eye. I'd just like to have the option to change choke tubes to improve accuracy.

As far as pricing goes for re-threading a barrel, how much would that set me back?.. Having it tapped for sights?

I'm partial to 12's, if I get the 20 bug I'll more than likely use it as an excuse to buy another

I think I'll end up carrying the gun with the action open, slung over my shoulder or some sort.. Haven't gotten that far yet but thanks for the heads up!

paboxcall

Quote from: Double Tapped on March 14, 2017, 08:53:44 PM
As far as pricing goes for re-threading a barrel, how much would that set me back?.. Having it tapped for sights?

http://www.sumtoycustoms.com/index.php/prices
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

lowoctane

:morning:
Love my singles! Short, light and deadly!
As far as safety is concerned, I can't think of a safer platform to own. I pull the hammer back when I'm ready to fire, period. If my shot is spoiled, I've learned how to let the hammer back down without firing the loaded round. Practice that part and you've got it. I have never had a dead primer, so can't speak to that,
nor have I ever had to use more than one shot on a rooster while using my single, but I practice a quick reload just the same. I would recommend that you buy a single that has an ejector as a part of your plan tho. :z-twocents:

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Strutr

For many years, I toted an 11-87 in the turkey woods and finally realized that every bird I killed with it took one shot.  I figured that I spent far more time carrying my gun than shooting it and a single would be considerably lighter and more compact.  If your experience is similar, pick up a single and you'll probably never look back.  To me, the only negative to the lighter single is the additional recoil but, hey, it's only one shot.

An H&R single would make a fine turkey gun without a lot of mods.  Before you spend a lot of money installing choke tubes, try patterning it with an assortment of turkey loads.  With today's specialty loads, you'll likely find one that produces very good patterns.  Other than that, I'd suggest a good recoil pad and an upgrade to fiber optic sights.       

Kevin6Q

One gun which gets used for grouse is the 20 ga single, a Remington if memory recalls it right. Shoots good but the lightweight does little to reduce the recoil. As others have said, it's only one shot. Practice letting down the hammer and you are good. Just be sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction in case your thumb slips.

With the price pf today's loads you might as well get it threaded and tapped. since this will cost as much as a pile of shells to test and you will have a more versatile gun. On occasion I shoot skeet w/ mine and would love to be able to alter the pattern.

Whatever you decide, have fun w/ the project.

Bowguy

Quote from: lowoctane on March 15, 2017, 08:35:25 AM
As far as safety is concerned, I can't think of a safer platform to own. I pull the hammer back when I'm ready to fire, period. If my shot is spoiled, I've learned how to let the hammer back down without firing the loaded round. Practice that part and you've got it. I have never had a dead primer, so can't speak to that,
nor have I ever had to use more than one shot on a rooster while using my single, but I practice a quick reload just the same. I would recommend that you buy a single that has an ejector as a part of your plan tho. :z-twocents:
It's not a safe platform even remotely when dealing w novices. Not to disregard what you're saying. But the beginners I teach in hunter ed must shoot a firearm. We supply guns n when a novice shows up w their gun(one they should understand) at a class they invariably can't uncock the trigger safely. When a thrown clay bird breaks n thus "no bird" is called the shooter looks around w a very unsafe gun. Therefore w them it's not a safe platform.
Yes practice is key n they have to remember a safety but decocking w cold inexperienced hands makes the instructors sweat. Just an absolute observation

tha bugman

I got a 10ga single shot..... :z-dizzy:

owlhoot

Buford

IMO. I think an adult would be fine if they know the gun. Not so much with small hands and less strength. My father bought me a savage single shot .410 when I was in about the sixth grade. Iam about to turn 69. The rabbit would be in the county by the time you got it cocked. Same problem when letting the hammer down. Had to use two hands either way. I still have it. Never had any close calls when using it. Used a single shot winchester that someone had sucked the choke down on for a match gun. Not good for turkey's. Then came the remmy 870 and things began to change. But wouldn't feel under gunned with a single shot. I have used the second and third shoot several times on turkey's and even a size ten boot on some!!! Ain't nothing like turkey hunting!!!        Buford

stinkpickle

Quote from: Bowguy on March 15, 2017, 04:28:36 PM
Quote from: lowoctane on March 15, 2017, 08:35:25 AM
It's not a safe platform even remotely when dealing w novices. Not to disregard what you're saying. But the beginners I teach in hunter ed must shoot a firearm. We supply guns n when a novice shows up w their gun(one they should understand) at a class they invariably can't uncock the trigger safely. When a thrown clay bird breaks n thus "no bird" is called the shooter looks around w a very unsafe gun. Therefore w them it's not a safe platform.
Yes practice is key n they have to remember a safety but decocking w cold inexperienced hands makes the instructors sweat. Just an absolute observation

I can see that.  I remember practicing that as a kid with exposed hammer guns.

WildTigerTrout

I was forced as a kid to hunt with a H&R Topper 20 ga. because of the low cost.  I always would have rather had a repeater.  Later I sold the gun and do not miss it one bit.  Give me a pump or semi anyday!  I really cannot fathom why anybody who can afford a decent shotgun would want a single.  I did own a NEF 10 ga. single for a short while.  Traded it and got a Browning 10 ga. 24" Stalker. No regrets there either.  I guess to each his own.  Good luck with your project.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!