turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Beginner with some questions

Started by YoungJake, April 09, 2011, 11:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YoungJake

Hey everyone. I'm fairly new to turkey hunting, and I have a few questions about the day- of setup.

1. Decoys
When i'm in the field, how far out should i set my decoy?
Does a hen, Jake, or big gobbler decoy work better, or does a combination work the best?
when you are walking to your spot, how do you carry in your decoys?

2. Calls
What is the best method of purring with a box call?
What do you do when the turkeys get close in when you have a box call? Move on to a mouth call?
Can you give me general tips on using a box call?

3. Picking a spot
What credentials does a spot have to have to meet your specifications? What locater calls do you use to figure out a good spot?

I would also like any tips you think a beginner should know. Thanks for the help!
:boon:

paboxcall

Decoys:  I'm not the right guy to answer, I don't hunt fields, just wooded mountains.  I gave up carrying a decoy years ago and try to us the lay of the land to my advantage.

Purring on a box call.  Here is a decent tutorial from Midwest Turkey Supply.  It should get you going in the right direction, and you can practice and improve from there.

http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/doubleside.asp

I always carry at least two boxes, do most of my locating with a box.  If a gobbler commits and is working his way in, the box gets put down and we go to the mouth call to minimize hand movement.

Picking a spot.  Patterning the birds should dictate a good set up -- how they enter or leave the fields as you watch from a distance so as not to disturb them before the season.  Look for areas that show indications of strutting, like wing dragging, or areas where a lot of scratching tends to happen. 

If you spend some time searching the posts here, you will find LOTS of good information on calling techniques.  Good luck and welcome to the sport.  You will be hooked for life.

:icon_thumright:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

gunnerj

We have been successful with decoys. The love triangle took a jake on public hunting yesterday, and I didn't call until they were to the decoys. They brought in jakes the day before. I have shot longbeards with decoys. I've shot more without. Everybodies got stories and hype on the newest thing. The biggest thing is to get started, start slow, and be persistant. You don't need a pickup truck full of stuff to kill a bird. Purrs are generally better off of a slate or friction call. Push pin calls work when the birds are close if you don't or can't use a diaphram (mouth) call. The big thing is to sound like a turkey. Go find a hen and mimic her. You'll get it. Credentials, the spot needs to be used by turkeys. My advice is to put in the time scouting. Know your birds. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!!!

YoungJake

ok, thanks guys. how do you carry your decoys out in the field? My decoy wont fit in my vest..

renegade19

Quote from: YoungJake on April 10, 2011, 11:26:32 PM
ok, thanks guys. how do you carry your decoys out in the field? My decoy wont fit in my vest..
Decoy bag.  My buddy bought a $5 heavy duty laundry bag and spray painted it brown.  Seems to work well for him.

Timmer

If you do a search you will find lots of threads on decoys and varying opinions.  I have personally never shot a mature bird using decoys, but I have shot some jakes.  I used to carry a single hen but I had a number of instances of mature birds looking at the decoy for about 2 seconds and then turning tail and running away.  My personal take was that the bird was lifeless and didn't respond to his gobble so it didn't seem right to the wary tom.  I now carry a jake and hen combo, or nothing at all.  I'm still waiting for the jake and hen combo to produce a mature bird.  To be fair, I do a lot of sneak hunting so I don't use them all that often.

You should mix up your calling by carrying and using a few different calls.  As far as purring, nothing is as easy as a push-pin style call.  A pot call is fairly easy to use as well.  I definitely switch to a mouth call once the bird is close as I don't want him to see me moving.

As far as a spot, here is an article on turkey hunting kill spots - http://outdoornews.com/features/hunt-shoot/article_ac692cc8-48e3-11e0-8020-001cc4c03286.html

There is tons of advice for beginners.  I think most would say the number one item is don't over call.  If a bird has responded to you, limit it to every 20-30 minutes.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

YoungJake

thanks guys. How far out do you have your decoys set out away from you?

bnew17

Quote from: YoungJake on April 14, 2011, 12:38:38 AM

You need the decoys close enough to where if the gobbler gets to it you can shoot him. In other words dont put the decoy 40 yards away. If i use a decoy, which i dont normally becuase they get in the way and are aggravating. but ill put it about 20 yards away and face it away from the gobbler so he will think he needs to get in front of the decoy to get its attention,,which will draw him closer to me.

YoungJake

sounds great, thanks for the advice!

gunnerj

Quote from: YoungJake on April 10, 2011, 11:26:32 PM
Large duffel bag. I get a half dozen in. Early season if the flocks are not broke yet, I'll set a flock.

gunnerj

Quote from: YoungJake on April 14, 2011, 12:38:38 AM
10 to 20 yards.