turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DSD Decoys YES!! (Pic Heavy :)

Started by MK M GOBL, March 04, 2017, 06:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

I live in Southwest WI, there are local Sport/Deer shows that I do and through work. Seminars are pretty much over for the year...(Season is Open) Only thing I have coming up is "How to" Mount/Display your Fan, Wings, Spurs for both a Display or Decoy. If you have some specific "Decoying Techniques" questions just ask and I'll see what I can do to help.

MK K GOBL

MK M GOBL

Well so far the season I have had some luck and been tipping some toms!!

DSD and Done Again!!

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

ElkTurkMan

I just ordered my first DSD decoys and all I can say is there is absolutely no comparison to other decoys I have used in the past. These are unbelievably realistic and the detail is out of this world. I can't wait to try these out. 

MK M GOBL

Time for an update :)

Put my DSD's to work this morning and scored on a good one!

It's not too often I am out chasing gobblers on my own, but had a great morning in the timber! This bird messed with a buddy and I the last two days, went in on him this morning and he was lit up. His first gobble was at 5:02am and his last was 5:55am... Still working on a 2nd tag but enjoying the morning!

MK M GOBL

CMBOSTC

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 04, 2017, 07:23:21 PM
I also use a Strutter!! And he does work with all birds once you understand the dominance game. Here is a hunt with a Strutter and had a Upright Hen and Feeding Hen with him, Dad and Daughter were in one blind (Double Blind set) Double Bull Blinds and videoing from the other. This Jake came in to the Strutter Set just under 15 yards away during our WI Youth Season!!

MK M GOBL

Holy crap, that strutter decoy looks real!

MK M GOBL

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on January 13, 2018, 02:07:21 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 04, 2017, 07:23:21 PM
I also use a Strutter!! And he does work with all birds once you understand the dominance game. Here is a hunt with a Strutter and had a Upright Hen and Feeding Hen with him, Dad and Daughter were in one blind (Double Blind set) Double Bull Blinds and videoing from the other. This Jake came in to the Strutter Set just under 15 yards away during our WI Youth Season!!

MK M GOBL

Holy crap, that strutter decoy looks real!

He is amazing!! Once you add in your fan, wings and beard and it hard not to tell if he's real or not at a glance, I have taken a catnap or two and had to take a double-take just to make sure another tom didn't slip in :)
*I never take him off of "private"

MK M GOBL

CMBOSTC

MK M GOBL

Time for an update, It's seems my "secrets" out, I have had a number of questions here and elsewhere about the "White Headed" Gobbler Decoys I designed/ developed back in 1999 and how he came to be. And like most things there is a story to how this came about. Recently the questions have been with the DSD Strutter I use, he has been a progression of decoys I have used over the years and I made my first White Headed "DSD" Strutter back in 2012, I have made and sold a number of these, I have given many seminars on the subject and have 18 years of in the field use with this design.

Here are a few pics that have been requested on how I have "painted" my DSD's, as you can see the head is an overall white with redish/pink coloration in the head and neck. The reasoning behind this is taking the strutter out of "Fight" mode and putting him in to "Breeding" mode, even with this being the most dominant (Alpha) stage it is not an intimidation to other birds jakes and toms alike. All birds will come to a decoy at this stage, some to fight yes if they are the (Alpha) but Betas, Omegas and even the jakes will come to him. There is a lot that goes in to this and how to hunt a Strutter "right" and decoys in general.

For now I will add a few pics of this, I am in the process of writing the story of the White Headed Gobbler and will post that as well.

The pics are of the DSD Strutter, I have made several upgrades to him. I also added some closeups of the head and neck and how I paint these. It is a pretty easy upgrade, I use just regular bottle of "White Out" with a foam tipped applicator.

If you have questions feel free to ask or PM me on this.

MK M GOBL

Gobble!

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 07, 2018, 02:09:24 AM
The pics are of the DSD Strutter, I have made several upgrades to him. I also added some closeups of the head and neck and how I paint these. It is a pretty easy upgrade, I use just regular bottle of "White Out" with a foam tipped applicator.

MK M GOBL

What other upgrades have you made?

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gobble! on March 07, 2018, 09:19:47 AM

MK M GOBL

Those upgrades have not been "released" yet... but just more of my own designs. I will update as when things progress.

MK M GOBL

tha bugman

Those decoys are detailed no doubt.  Funny story, my buddy and I were in BPS the day before the convention started many years ago.  There was this guy on the decoy aisle looking at all the different ones.  He said "I have never seen them in person before.."  Come to find out it was Dave and he was scoping out the competition.  His definitely look the best IMO.

WVhuntEER

Awesome decoys!  I have had so much fun hunting with them.  My Jake rattles around now because of the pellets the poor guy has endured over the years. LOL   They are extremely realistic and durable.   The Jake's fan is starting to separate a little but not too bad considering it being shot repeatedly.   LOL  Highly recommend. 

Gobble!

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 07, 2018, 09:47:17 AM

MK M GOBL

Those upgrades have not been "released" yet... but just more of my own designs. I will update as when things progress.

MK M GOBL

Thanks. I've got a few that are not looking the best because some of the paint has come off. Others are looking pretty dull. Is there a certain kind of paint that would be good to repaint them with?

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gobble! on March 07, 2018, 10:24:32 AM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 07, 2018, 09:47:17 AM

MK M GOBL

MK M GOBL

Thanks. I've got a few that are not looking the best because some of the paint has come off. Others are looking pretty dull. Is there a certain kind of paint that would be good to repaint them with?

I have never done "body paint" on them (might give DSD a call on that), I have always bagged the decoys for two reasons #1 is of course to reduce wear on them (learned this from my goose decoys) and #2 is keeping them covered while I move to and from set or to another set (just a safety thing). The only thing I have seen is some wear on the eyes of one of my hens (upright) What I found out is that my hens and jake need to go in bag tail first, when the head is down it is forced up against the bag and the eye was in a constant state of "rubbing" against the material. I fixed to wear spot with a black Sharpie marker. Since keeping the heads up no longer any issue. As far as "dull" I do take my dekes and hand wash (watch your soap NO UV brighteners) each of them after season is over for the year to clean them up.

MK M GOBL