Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

At the gate and revving their engines

Started by FullChoke, March 14, 2017, 10:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

The temps are rising, the dogwoods are in full bloom, Saturday starts a little cloudy then clears, Sunday should be a Katey-Bar-The-Door kind of morning. It's all good.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

xarcher

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

3bailey3

I'am out the door at3:45 in the morning, good luck to you guys!

cramerhunts

Good luck you all! Shoot straight and take good pictures!

FullChoke

I'm taking off in about 10 minutes.

:anim_25:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

3seasons

Slow start down in my neck of the woods.  Was able to go for about an hour before work each morning last week.
Opening morning- went by my house heard one bird gobbled 8 times. He answered me 2 times and gobbled at me scratching the leaves. That's when I had a huge coyote almost jump on me. When our eyes met he was right at 5 steps away just over my left shoulder.  He looked like Wiley coyote off of the roadrunner cartoon when he turned a 180 in mid strid and kicked leaves up when he left there. He has a little yelping pup running with him. The bird shut up and after a while I eased around and found the gobbler and a hen still in the tree at 8:3am. I watched them fly down deep into the neighbors hardwoods away from the sounds of the coyotes.
Thursday- by my house he gobbled 3 times deeper on the neighbors property.
Friday- nothing
Saturday I hit the forest. Nothing  I walked 5 miles in 3 of my top producing areas and didn't see any sign nor hear anything.  I didn't even see another hunter nor hear any shots. Very strange for opening weekend.  I talked to 10 other friends that hunted Saturday morning and no one heard a bird. It was an almost perfect morning.
Sunday- back by the house I heard 3 birds gobble 8-10 times. I also heard another hunter that was way across the line. And my high pitched yelping coyote ran right to the gobbling birds and they all went silent. I did get  permission to hunt this piece of property but it's really thick so I doubt I'll try to chase them there.
I'll be headed black out to the forest on my next off day. Hopefully they will be talking a little better

Good luck to all y'all.

I told my wife to go ahead and be prepared for me to be a little ornery because I haven't pulled the trigger yet, lol.

3bailey3

I have been on them two  mornings now, lots of gobbling but they have been on the propety line and been in a calling contest with someone on the other side, I knew I should just walk way but they were gobbling so good, at lest 8 birds this morning slipped both of us! I have off tomorrow I hope the guy on the other side does not!

surehuntsalot

not one peep here in simpson co yesterday morning, Saturday was a work day at camp so I didn't get to hunt, but done some scouting that afternoon
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

mason3toes

guys ive managed 2 thus far but due to time constraints and them not really being high scorers i didnt take the correct pics. Good luck to all and hopefully i can manage a good un.

old frank

Georgia Season opened this past weekend. It is raining today but I plan to be out there in the morning.

Gun is sighted in, tape and scale are ready. Calls are chalked and sanded and I have sprayed my clothes with permanone.
Not supposed to be a great year here but I will be trying my best.

My friend heard one back in the swamp gobbling so that is where I will be tomorrow before the sun comes up.
My friend killed this one opening morning a few miles away on some property owned by a big dog Atlanta lawyer who won't let anyone else on the property. He said it was a classic hunt. Birds gobbled about 300 yards away and came right in first thing after daylight.