OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new stock on 835 and need help..not comfortable

Started by fountain, April 08, 2011, 08:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain

I just put a new pistol grip stock on my turkey thug 835 ..setting up with it tight on the shoulder and head down feels awesome and the line of sight is perfect..straight down the rib and the tru glow sights line up perfect ...buy I have a red dot on it and u have to have the lower part of your cheek, almost to the mouth line, up on the stock to see through the scope well.  Don't like having my head that high up,  is there anything I can get to help this..a different comb kit?  Bye the way ...the pistol grip part feels sweet!

fountain

Well..it don't feel good shooting it either.   Killed a nice bird this morning and busted my mouth open!  I may have had my shoulder against the tree some too, not sure if it was that the stock..but dont  wanna try again to see. 

Anybody else got one?

stinkpickle

beagler

I don't have a pistol grip on my 835 but used the BearTooth Comb Riser. However I didn't care for the pads supplied that went under the neopreme sleeve. I ended up cutting some foam pipe insulation in half and putting it on the top of the stock. I then wrapped some electrical tape around it to keep it  in place and not roll to the side. Finally I stretched the neopreme sleeve over everything.
Never Misses

mightyjoeyoung

My thumbhole stock came black (I camoed it myself)  after I camoed it, I took a piece of camo neoprene wader material (5 mm thick) and cut it to fit where my check would weld to the stock.  Then, after I got it to fit perfectly, I traced the pad on the stock and  stripped the paint with some sand paper.  Using 3m Industrial adhesive spray, i sprayed the back of the neoprene and fit it to the stock and simply wrapped it in an ace wrap to keep it tight and formed to the stock.  Once dry it is as permanent as I want it to be and with the nice smoth nylon shell, my face slides along it and I don't get "stock punched" any more.  It also just raises my cheek enough to see through an optic device like my Bushnell Trophy red dot. :icon_thumright:
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

fountain

I gotta do something..I seriously have a swollen lip and its all blue..in and out.  How in the hell it did it bugs me..has to be cause you have to raise your head so high to shoot through the scope.  I also have one with the th stock..and it will brush you some too.  Guess I will have to get a comb kit..can somebody please post a pic.  I would really like to hear from others with the pistol grip stock. 

bird

What pistol grip stock do you have?  Do you have a Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock on the gun?  If its not a recoil reducing pistol stock that could be part of your problem right there.

bird

mightyjoeyoung

Yup!!  Those things ARE NOT meant for shooting some of todays modern HEAVY recoiling turkey loads!  They'll just bust you up!  The Thumbhole stock definetly puts the recoil force more inline and straight back which I have found to be much more manageble than with most other stocks except for the knox.

fountain

This is the stock that cames on most of the turkey thug 500 guns.  I had one sent with my 835.  Definitely not a recoil reducing stock like the knoxx.

mightyjoeyoung

If it is the colapsable "tactical turkey" stock, get yourself a cheek piece riser (low) and put a layer of nylon-backed neoprene on it.  Yu can pick one up for around 20 bucks online.  It will allow you a good cheek to stock weld and still keep your head low enough for an optical device while believe it or not, reducing some of that cheek slap.

fountain

mightyjoeyoung

Ok, that is commonly reffered to as the S.A.W. grip.  (used on the squad automatic weapon in the military)  You soud be able to put a cheek piece riser of some kind on it, and the beartooth should work.  If not then you will probably have to pick up a bolt on style riser for it and then pad it yourself.  We used A padded cheek piece riser on our HBARs when I used to shoot a little high power but I can't remember the manufacturer.  Sorry...