turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

mossberg 500 ?s

Started by hunter82, April 08, 2011, 02:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter82

i also posted this in the lead forum.i am currently using a .660 primos tightwad choke with winchester supreme hv 6s.the gun has a 20 inch barrel.i get an average of 150 hits in a 10 inch circle at 35 yds.what would be acceptable numbers for 40 yards. i have also thought about goin with the hevi 13 - 7 shot. so what numbers should i be looking to get.

WyoHunter

No problem with those numbers at 40 yds. Your number of hits would increase with the 7's but you won't have any problems killing a gobbler at 40 yds with Hv 6's. I would expect no less than 215 hits with the 7's but you'll have to shoot them to really know.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

new2turkey

Getting good patterns out of my 500 with hevi #6s

Dwnforce

I get 180 at 35 with Heavy 5's...Go with the sevens..Im waiting on mine as we speak

SumToy

658 to 660 with lead or HTL will give you a good hunting pattern.  It put good numbers and meat on the table.  Now If you want it bad we need to drop it down into the 640's. :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

njdevilsb

I'm going to shoot my 535 tomorrow with an Indian Creek .660 and a SSX .643 with Hevi #7's.  Mine also has a 20" barrel.  I will post my results.  I'm shooting the 3.5" 2 1/4 ounce loads, but it should give you somewhat of an idea if you're shooting 3".  I have some various Winchester Supreme shells that I'll use for making sure I'm hitting where I want, and I can throw a couple of those downrange to give you lead numbers also.

SumToy

Shoot you some junk shells (8's/9's)at around 50 ft.  This will let you know what is going on.  You can fine tune with them then move to the big loads and the 40 yards.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

stinkpickle

Quote from: njdevilsb on April 09, 2011, 12:25:03 AM
I'm going to shoot my 535 tomorrow with an Indian Creek .660 and a SSX .643 with Hevi #7's.  Mine also has a 20" barrel.  I will post my results.  I'm shooting the 3.5" 2 1/4 ounce loads, but it should give you somewhat of an idea if you're shooting 3".  I have some various Winchester Supreme shells that I'll use for making sure I'm hitting where I want, and I can throw a couple of those downrange to give you lead numbers also.

I'll be curious, too.  I have an old 20" Mossy 500 that I got back in the '80's that I pulled out of retirement a couple of years ago (and use it as my backup's backup gun) when I found an Undertaker and a set of Tru-glo sites on clearance at Walmart for $13.  It carries and maneuvers really nice, so I might dress 'er up a bit and give 'er some more field time.