turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

mossberg 500 ?s

Started by hunter82, April 08, 2011, 02:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter82

what numbers should i expect to see with this gun at 40 yards.right now i am using a .660 primos tightwad choke with winchester supreme hv 6 shot. i am getting an average of 150 hits in a 10 inch circle at 35 yards.just lookin to see what sounds reasonable for lead numbers. i have also thought about tryin the hevi 13 - 7shot.so what numbers would be acceptable at 40 with both lead and hevi shot.

hunter82

forgot to add that the gun has a 20 inch barrel

stinkpickle

You might lose quite a few between 35 and 40 yards, but I'd think it should be able to hold at least 100 (which will certainly kill), since you're getting 150 at 35.  You'll want to check, though.  The "acceptable" number won't change by switching to H13 #7's, but the number of holes will most likely jump up.   ;)

Tom Foolery

If I was guessing with the lead HV 6's I would say you will consistently be 100-115 @ 40yds.

hunter82

are the federal flightwad control #6s any good. i found some fairly cheap and bought 2 boxes. i been having a hard time gettin my hands on any of them winchester shells.i have heard it aint recommended shootin the federal out of a ported choke.i have a hastings .660 non ported  to use them through.

deadeyeeddy

Best lead pattern I've ever gotten was 105 in a 10" circle at 40 yards with my Remington 870 with a 21" barrel and a 0.655 Remington Ventilator tube and 1 7/8 ounce Remington Nitro 6's.  I've had several other shells/chokes shoot 90-103, so you should be right around 100, maybe a few pellets short.