turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

hunting the morning after a rain

Started by sonar83, April 08, 2011, 06:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonar83

Any tips or insights anyone can give me would be appreciated on hunting turkeys the morning after it rains the night before.

mightyjoeyoung

Fields/field edges and open clear cut areas.  I have noticed that, at least up here, the birds like to get out in the open after a good down pour.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

gunnerj

We had a big boomer go through last night. This morning the birds prefered open grassy areas. They were struttin' roads/paths and dikes(low grass or mowed).

TRKYHTR

You want to stay away from tall grass after a rain. turkeys usually don't like to walk thru wet tall grass and get soaked. I would focus on fields and open areas.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Timmer

I do a lot of sneak hunting and this is my favorite time to hunt because everything is all wet which means it's quiet.  No crackling leaves or dry grass.  You can cover a lot of ground looking for birds without making much noise. 

I know for sure that during the rain they either head to the open fields or if it's bad they completely disappear and go to the same hiding spots they go when it's really windy.  I can't say that after the rain I have seen a ton of difference of behavior compared dry days.  I personally don't think they mind getting wet.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!