News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Central PA Gobbling 2017

Started by HFultzjr, February 19, 2017, 07:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trefalga

Quote from: HFultzjr on April 23, 2017, 09:12:13 PM
Went out to the property I hunt Saturday.
Rained pretty good until about 5:15am, then cleared up.
5:50am 4 gobblers about 150 yards from where I usually set up hammered pretty good until about 6:20.
Gobbled their dang heads off, then not a peep.
If I would have got there at 6:30, I would have sworn not a bird around.
Looking good if they stay put.
:fud: :OGani:
good luck !

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HFultzjr

Quote from: trefalga on April 24, 2017, 12:10:15 AM
Quote from: HFultzjr on April 23, 2017, 09:12:13 PM
Went out to the property I hunt Saturday.
Rained pretty good until about 5:15am, then cleared up.
5:50am 4 gobblers about 150 yards from where I usually set up hammered pretty good until about 6:20.
Gobbled their dang heads off, then not a peep.
If I would have got there at 6:30, I would have sworn not a bird around.
Looking good if they stay put.
good luck !

:thanks:

You too!

TauntoHawk

Youth day had good gobbling but the nature of small parcel public land in SE PA is that birds tend to hang 90% of their time on private where they have fields, open timber, maybe a bird feeder or two and not the thicker public stuff. Nephew had a good time and I had them scouted and roosted just couldn't budge the flock up the hill

Opening day I'll fly blind and meet my dad upstate at his brothers, turkey numbers have been down for a few years there but its been family tradition to get together there and chase what birds we have in the mountains.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

M,Yingling

birds did their thing this morning first one was at 520  gobbled on and off till little after 7 nothing extreme but they was sounding off ,,they was workin my way so left ,,, Saturdays the day hopefully LOL Good Luck 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

HFultzjr

They have been gobbling almost every morning. Even heard a few gobbles during the day and evening roost. Hope it keeps up. Good luck everyone.

dan61psu

Almost no gobbling this am in lycoming county; for the first season ever i difnt hear any tree gobbling.  I did get a few gobbles around 8 and callef in two gobblers.  One down, one more tag to fill!  Up in tioga county tmrw am!
It's no fun living so far from good turkey woods!

compton30

They were absolutely going bananas last Saturday. I'm still trying to figure out how we didn't manage to punch a ticket on just ONE. Blah. Anyway, one tag left and off 3 days for a 5 day weekend. Cmon boys!!!

HFultzjr

Quote from: compton30 on May 09, 2017, 05:03:48 AM
They were absolutely going bananas last Saturday. I'm still trying to figure out how we didn't manage to punch a ticket on just ONE. Blah. Anyway, one tag left and off 3 days for a 5 day weekend. Cmon boys!!!

Yeah I know the feeling! Lots of birds wanting to talk, but nobody wants to play. Hopefully as the season gets later they will get lonely.

Longbeardfever4ever

Gobbling started at 5:15 yesterday morning! They were tearing it up in Clinton County.
Hook's Custom Calls
Keep The Fever Custom Calls
Romans 3:24

Twowithone

They were gobbling at 5:30 this morning down in Greene Co. We had bad fog too. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

trefalga

Quote from: HFultzjr on May 09, 2017, 08:22:20 AM
Quote from: compton30 on May 09, 2017, 05:03:48 AM

Yeah I know the feeling! Lots of birds wanting to talk, but nobody wants to play. Hopefully as the season gets later they will get lonely.
Same here in NJ..either the birds are still henned up or just not seeking..so you have to bring it to them and get close...when doing so, I immediately strike off to the bird that's gobbling the most and get as close as I can given the terrain, cover and light..many times I've been able to get within 50 yards...once that close I post a decoy and call very little...sometimes just 3-4 clucks...less is more

TauntoHawk

Punched out in PA, killed opening morning second morning was in but just all jakes, 3rd morning I missed, 4th morning punched my second tag. All four morning I had really good gobbling on the roost and early on the ground. Never hunted past 7:00am so not sure how they've been gobbling rest of the day

With my Nebraska and PA tags punched i just need to get to NY and fill those two tags
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SteelerFan

Birds were lackluster on the roost. Did get steady response throughout the morning once on the ground - but unable to move them my way. Courtesy gobbles as they headed away (separate birds). Did not hear a hen, but they sure acted like they were in company with 1 or more.

HFultzjr

Yeah, sure got quiet for me too! Only a courtesy gobble and maybe 1 or 2 on the roost. Although today I called in a very big hen with nobody in tow......LOL. However about an hour later one very loud and close gobble right behind me. Never heard him again or saw him.
:newmascot:

compton30

4-5 gobbles on the branch to start things Saturday morning, once they flew down I got them (2 toms) FIRED UP and they were going ballistic. Nice longbeard came into 40ish yards and stood looking for us, basically inviting my Dad to shoot him, which didn't happen for whatever reason...not a pleasant truck ride home. Anyway they must have gobbled 40-50 times to my calling and a hen that cut loose some very impressive cutting before eventually wandering off somewhere on property we couldn't follow. Has been haunting me nearly every waking moment seeing that gobbler standing there begging to be shot, but I am encouraged by the gobbling activity. Thought for sure a double was coming.