OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

One big rafter

Started by rustyi, April 07, 2011, 11:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustyi

This will be mine and my son's first ever spring turkey hunt and we've been scouting quite a bit.  We're scouting in the foothills of mountainous terrain and each time we're out, we cover a lot of ground.  But we always find the same big rafter of about 30 or 40 turkeys in the same spot, plus or minus about a quarter of a mile in a fairly narrow canyon.  Most of the mountain sides are covered with junipers, but there are some big old cottonwoods in the bottoms that they are roosting in, and very few open areas.

We're worried that since these seem to be the only birds around (at least in this drainage), and since it is public land, that the birds are not dispersed at all and anyone hunting turkeys in that drainage will all be hunting the same birds at the same time.

We've had a very long winter and it is not over yet with several inches of new snow today (April 7th).  We also wonder if the mating season would be a bit later than the second week of April, since the birds have not dispersed at all and spring has not quite sprung.

My real question is, shouldn't they be more dispersed?  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Kylongspur88

I don't know about the normal "breakup" time in your area sounds like your out west. The best advice I can give you though pertains to the public land. If you've got the birds pegged down get there first. If that means walking in at 2 a.m do it. If it's public land chances are some one else knows about these birds to and you have to beat them to the punch. It amazes me when I come across other people in places that I would have thought no white man has ever seen. Good luck.