OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20g XR Longbeards comin!!

Started by CABEAR73, February 17, 2017, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYlogbeards

Quote from: CABEAR73 on March 01, 2017, 05:43:40 AM
Quote from: NYlogbeards on March 01, 2017, 12:31:49 AM
Quote from: CABEAR73 link=topic=70039.msg689474#msg689474

date=1488337484

Quote from: BowBendr on February 26, 2017, 08:48:39 PM

Ha, don't mean to throw dirt on your opinion but "120 was the best at 40 yards"? That is pretty impressive for Lead load, I get maybe 60 at best with Winchester dbl xx and I got a bird at 42 yards last spring with out penetration issues... Seems as if your bias on Fed HW 7 is just blinding your vision on the WinLb load.

Hard not to be when on the same shelf it hits 40-50 more. In a 12g, that wouldnt matter. 20?? Thats a world of difference. Only down fall is the XRs are 2 to F7s 1 in price. But if pay that for the #'s mine are getting

I get what you mean, I would take the F hw7 over Lb but for the price and probably the best lead load you'll get on the market the Winchester XrLb will do just fine for anyone wanting to get a decent 40 yard gun. For a 20 ga with lead thats revolutionary XD

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: Buford on February 26, 2017, 03:25:11 PM
Grandma was slow but she was ninety years old. I've given up on winchester getting the new longbeard 20 gauge shells out. Seems like choke makers and everybody else getsem but not the hunter who's going to buy the things. How long has it been? Has to at least two years. I see where one fellow on here has sold three of four boxes he bought at the convention. They must not be what the fed hw 7s is. It's beyond my understanding.       Buford
According to the macks prairie wings web site they expect them by March 6, keep your fingers crossed

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: ahfox16 on February 27, 2017, 08:15:20 AM
Unless someone has too shoot lead only shells (think old full choke Browning, model 12 winchester etc) all this Long Beard talk doesn't make sense.  It has less penetration then either the Federal Heavyweight or the Hevi-13 and less shot (size 7 for the other two) and less volume (1.5 Oz in the Heavyweight).  Physics just don't add up that its going to be as good as the other two which are readily available.  To me its sort of a big yawn unless someone has to use lead.
They cost half as much, so patterning will be a lot less strain on the wallet. Let alone trying to buy and reload tss

Jmbradt3873

Quote from: turkeykiller41 on February 27, 2017, 08:45:17 PM
There was alot of people who thought that they gave a good pattern but said #6 shot would not have enough penetration at 40yds.
I use #5, because they give me the best pattern, I have about a dozen chokes, and the undertaker np gives the best pattern by far. At work now, will post a picture when I get home.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Jmbradt3873 on March 04, 2017, 08:23:42 AM
Quote from: ahfox16 on February 27, 2017, 08:15:20 AM
Unless someone has too shoot lead only shells (think old full choke Browning, model 12 winchester etc) all this Long Beard talk doesn't make sense.  It has less penetration then either the Federal Heavyweight or the Hevi-13 and less shot (size 7 for the other two) and less volume (1.5 Oz in the Heavyweight).  Physics just don't add up that its going to be as good as the other two which are readily available.  To me its sort of a big yawn unless someone has to use lead.
They cost half as much, so patterning will be a lot less strain on the wallet. Let alone trying to buy and reload tss

I shoot HW #7's and I installed a new ghost ring sight on my 870 Youth and had to rezero after a sight change.  I shot 1 light load at 10yds and centered everything up, I shot one Federal #6 lead FCW at 20yds and 2 Fed HW #7's at 40yds.  Total cost was around $10.  I can handle $10 to shoot the most effective factory load made.  Saving $5 to shoot a shell that does not bring as much to the table does not interest me.