turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20g XR Longbeards comin!!

Started by CABEAR73, February 17, 2017, 12:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeykiller41

So what kind of pattern did you get with the Longbeards.

Buford

Grandma was slow but she was ninety years old. I've given up on winchester getting the new longbeard 20 gauge shells out. Seems like choke makers and everybody else getsem but not the hunter who's going to buy the things. How long has it been? Has to at least two years. I see where one fellow on here has sold three of four boxes he bought at the convention. They must not be what the fed hw 7s is. It's beyond my understanding.       Buford

Quackwacker NC

What was the numbers and what did the pattern look like

BowBendr

I believe the OP was just in a rush to be the first to say he had them. Started 2 separate threads and ain't said a peep, except that they were for sale.......

Greg Massey

Quote from: BowBendr on February 26, 2017, 08:48:39 PM
I believe the OP was just in a rush to be the first to say he had them. Started 2 separate threads and ain't said a peep, except that they were for sale.......
agree....x2

Izzyjoe

Besides handloads, Fed Hw #7 are the king of the hill, and probably will be for a while. Now the hevi-13 ain't to shabby either. For me personally I've yet to see a lead load pattern very well at 40yds, maybe there's one out there but I've yet to find it. By the time we see the 20ga Lb's it'll be summer, and that will as good as day old paper! But I've been wrong before.

BowBendr

Multiple sources have said that they start shipping tomorrow (2/27). They were just waiting on all the major shows to wrap up, including the nwtf convention. Lots of people have them in hand already.
Marketing is an intense game...gotta' know how to play it....frenzied demand equals stellar sales !

ahfox16

Unless someone has too shoot lead only shells (think old full choke Browning, model 12 winchester etc) all this Long Beard talk doesn't make sense.  It has less penetration then either the Federal Heavyweight or the Hevi-13 and less shot (size 7 for the other two) and less volume (1.5 Oz in the Heavyweight).  Physics just don't add up that its going to be as good as the other two which are readily available.  To me its sort of a big yawn unless someone has to use lead.

turkeykiller41

The federal heavyweight is not readily available you have to order it and pay for shipping so maybe people are hoping this longbeard load is an option that you can get locally also everyone doubted the 12 gauge load also and it is the best lead turkey load ever,that resin makes all the difference I don't know what they do to this lead but it will flat penetrate.

BowBendr

"everyone doubted the 12 ga. load"..........seriously ?
They were salivated over like nekkid super models.

turkeykiller41

There was alot of people who thought that they gave a good pattern but said #6 shot would not have enough penetration at 40yds.

Stumpy225

Yeah wasn't  that impressed with them out of my 870 youth 21" barrel and Sumtoy choke. Definitely going to stay with the 7's. I think they would be fine if you like a more open pattern out of your 20 gauge.

CABEAR73

No man...I just dont live on this site. I moderate other outdoor sites, and have mega honey do's working before March 15th in Ms.
FWIW...the Feds WAY overshot the Longbeards. I shot a youth model Rem 20g, and my Winchester XSP 20g. Used Sumtoy choke in both guns, and a Carlsons and Factory XX Invector in mine. They shot good. Not Fed 7s good, but youth hunting pattern good. Real even, but maybe 120-130 @ 40yds was best I got. I even spoke to William at Sumtoy, showed him the pattern and we both agreed the Sumtoy overchoked that shot. But all in all, I had 4 boxes from the NWTF show, shot one box, and sold the other 3 to buy more Fed 7s. They are prob one of the best store bought 20g rounds ive shot....but not THE best. There are several still above it. Not gonna day anything negative about them. Very consistent. But the one thing I noticed the most....my Fed 7 wads would hit the ground at 40, the LBXRs would barely make it 30yds...

NYlogbeards

Quote from: CABEAR73 on February 28, 2017, 10:04:44 PM

No man...I just dont live on this site. I moderate other outdoor sites, and have mega honey do's working before March 15th in Ms.
FWIW...the Feds WAY overshot the Longbeards. I shot a youth model Rem 20g, and my Winchester XSP 20g. Used Sumtoy choke in both guns, and a Carlsons and Factory XX Invector in mine. They shot good. Not Fed 7s good, but youth hunting pattern good. Real even, but maybe 120-130 @ 40yds was best I got. I even spoke to William at Sumtoy, showed him the pattern and we both agreed the Sumtoy overchoked that shot. But all in all, I had 4 boxes from the NWTF show, shot one box, and sold the other 3 to buy more Fed 7s. They are prob one of the best store bought 20g rounds ive shot....but not THE best. There are several still above it. Not gonna day anything negative about them. Very consistent. But the one thing I noticed the most....my Fed 7 wads would hit the ground at 40, the LBXRs would barely make it 30yds...

Ha, don't mean to throw dirt on your opinion but "120 was the best at 40 yards"? That is pretty impressive for Lead load, I get maybe 60 at best with Winchester dbl xx and I got a bird at 42 yards last spring with out penetration issues... Seems as if your bias on Fed HW 7 is just blinding your vision on the WinLb load.

CABEAR73

Quote from: NYlogbeards on March 01, 2017, 12:31:49 AM
Quote from: CABEAR73 link=topic=70039.msg689474#msg689474

date=1488337484

Ha, don't mean to throw dirt on your opinion but "120 was the best at 40 yards"? That is pretty impressive for Lead load, I get maybe 60 at best with Winchester dbl xx and I got a bird at 42 yards last spring with out penetration issues... Seems as if your bias on Fed HW 7 is just blinding your vision on the WinLb load.

Hard not to be when on the same shelf it hits 40-50 more. In a 12g, that wouldnt matter. 20?? Thats a world of difference. Only down fall is the XRs are 2 to F7s 1 in price. But if pay that for the #'s mine are getting