OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"Budget" semi auto 12 gauge options?

Started by Gutsdozer, February 17, 2017, 05:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gutsdozer

Hello all,

I have recently myself in the market for a "budget" semi auto turkey 12 gauge. One in particular I had read about was the Stoeger M3000 in APG with steady grip. Steady grip isn't a deal breaker for me. I am open to suggestions also. Can anyone give me some pros and cons to this gun and any others in the same price range? I have seen the Stoeger's price all over the map. I have seen it as low as $525 and as high as $650. Which always makes me stop and wonder if I am getting a fair price.  I am on a bit of a tight leash/budget by the boss. Something about "we have too many weapons in this house already and you keep....yada, yada..." you know how it goes. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Dirtybird552

If a 3" chamber isn't a deal breaker, I ran up on one of these at academy a couple of weeks ago. It felt good, point great.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/ata-arms-cy-camo-turkey-12-gauge-semiautomatic-shotgun#repChildCatid=4083548

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

CrustyRusty

I see mossbergs in the high 500 range all the time, thats where I would go.

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Britton40

FL-Boss

Do you want a gas semi or Inertia driven?   Seems I get a new shotgun every six months.. have way too many.  I can tell you is I like the Weatherby SA-08 (for gas) and the new Weatherby Element - Inertia.
Both these guns are about $600

For a straight semi turkey gun - Weatherby SA-459 hands down.

Greg Massey

When you start looking at these cheaper Shotguns you have to see what brand of choke tubes the gun will take and what you want the gun to shoot. Just like the cheaper gun form Academy. You have to ask, what or who makes chokes for these guns...In my opinion you need to decide what you want the gun to do and build or buy a gun that fits you and shoots the shells with good after market chokes...Notice i said good Chokes..If a cheap gun is limited to chokes them you are limiting yourself in performance. Just something to think about.

Gutsdozer

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 17, 2017, 10:48:03 AM
Do you want a gas semi or Inertia driven?   Seems I get a new shotgun every six months.. have way too many.  I can tell you is I like the Weatherby SA-08 (for gas) and the new Weatherby Element - Inertia.
Both these guns are about $600

For a straight semi turkey gun - Weatherby SA-459 hands down.

I have heard good things about the weatherby. Is it a better gun all around than the Stoeger for a straight up semi auto?

FL-Boss

I think so.  I currently have 3 Weatherby semi auto shotguns.. SA-08, SA-459, Element and they have all be flawless.  Great value and good support if needed.

Double B

Used Beretta like mentioned above or older Remington.  I have a buddy that hunts a camo Stoeger with a tight choke and he likes it. 
Followed by buzzards

SFCSNOW

Been shooting two SA-08s (20 and 12) for years now.  LOVE both of them.  Sweet shooting.  POA/POI is true.  Bought them when they first came out.  Paid less than $300 each. 
My 12 wears an Indian Creek and patterns Win Elite Xtended Range #6 like nothing I've ever patterned.  I only have 12 rounds left.  Hated they discontinued them.
Knock on wood...I've been 100% with this gun.

reynolds243

Quote from: Gutsdozer on February 17, 2017, 05:19:40 AM
Hello all,

I have recently myself in the market for a "budget" semi auto turkey 12 gauge. One in particular I had read about was the Stoeger M3000 in APG with steady grip. Steady grip isn't a deal breaker for me. I am open to suggestions also. Can anyone give me some pros and cons to this gun and any others in the same price range? I have seen the Stoeger's price all over the map. I have seen it as low as $525 and as high as $650. Which always makes me stop and wonder if I am getting a fair price.  I am on a bit of a tight leash/budget by the boss. Something about "we have too many weapons in this house already and you keep....yada, yada..." you know how it goes. Any help or advice is appreciated.

You cannot go wrong with Stoeger IMO, i have owned all 3 the M2000, M3000 and M3500 and all of them were fine guns. They are super easy to breakdown and clean and I love the chrome lined barrel.  Shoot a mobile choke which are easy to find and are generally cheap.  They pattern very very easy with turkey loads and have a good warrently.  I went to a SBE2 but I wouldnt hesitate to own or use one again any day of the week.  I never found any cons on the ones i used as long as you understand its a $500 semi auto shotgun so dont expect it to be a $1500 one. It fires every time you pull the trigger and you have very few parts to worry about unlike a gas gun. 

Izzyjoe

The Stoeger would be a good choice, but I would look long and hard at the used racks. There can be some good deals to be had on name brands shotguns, and another thing to remember is if you ever have to sell a name brand and will bring more! I've always been partial to 1100- 11-87 Remington's, cause they hold there value.