turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite box call maker?

Started by Techn9cian02, February 14, 2017, 03:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

If im picking just one I got a Terry Baker bloodwood/butternut that took 3rd at midwest lat year and I couldn't imagine that there was 2 better sounding short boxes that day.. that little box runs effortlessly
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Old Timer53

Albert Paul  Walnut/ Catalpa box b one of my favorite with Walnut/Cedar  and all Walnut being close by. I am able to rotate other Albert's combos during the season. It all depends on my mood that day !!!

ferocious calls

Not sure who makes the best. I sent one to Lonnie Sneed jr. for his bow or bear club donation. Lonnie Sr. said it was the best short box he ever heard. It was Osage over Osage called the Orange Crush. Making a flock of them currently. They are priced to sell.

The best sounding box I have heard is my Full Choke, Quarter sawn Sycamore over Sycamore. Those are the next flock to be made soon.

mspaci

Albert Paul, Cherry over poplar, hands down best, sound, easy to use, fit & finish

Bowguy

Short boxes I like SS n Halloran makes a pretty nice one too. Longboxes I'll add MaCamey. Seems those guys are good n consistant. I've run others that were inconsistent. Some well known makers. And it's not just me, friends have sent em back for new ones.  I like to know I'm getting a decent call not hope I got one of the good ones

trb136

Quote from: Britton40 on February 14, 2017, 09:33:55 PM
These type of threads pop up a lot. IMO, everyone has a different sound in their head of what a real hen is supposed to sound like. In turn, everyone will have their favorite call maker or caller because that particular call maker has that similar sound is in their head as well.  Most of the time, that call maker will tune for their particular sound. I imagine most box call makers will ask you several questions to try and fit your hen in their call. There's really not a good answer. All of them will kill turkeys. You have to find that particular call maker who tunes their calls to your personal hen. And also decide if it's a tool to strike a bird(make him gobble) or a tool for you to predominately use during the entire encounter. Make sense? 

I recommend coming to Unicoi next year and playing a lot of different calls and talking to the best in the business as far as box/paddle callers go.
. BINGO!!

hunter22

I recommend coming to Unicoi next year and playing a lot of different calls and talking to the best in the business as far as box/paddle callers go

Great way to get the sound you are looking for. I had one of the better known callmakers make me a short box and he tuned it exactly as I told him I wanted. However, when I got the call I did not care for the sound at first. It was too high pitched. But I told him I wanted a young hen sound and he made me exactly what I asked for. But the more I run it the better I like it. It sounds turkey, just not the deeper more mature hen sound I normally prefer. At Unicoi you can run so many great calls and pick out exactly what you want. I know next year will be even better than this year.

boatpaddle

Quote from: hunter22 on February 15, 2017, 08:05:09 PM
I recommend coming to Unicoi next year and playing a lot of different calls and talking to the best in the business as far as box/paddle callers go

Great way to get the sound you are looking for. I had one of the better known callmakers make me a short box and he tuned it exactly as I told him I wanted. However, when I got the call I did not care for the sound at first. It was too high pitched. But I told him I wanted a young hen sound and he made me exactly what I asked for. But the more I run it the better I like it. It sounds turkey, just not the deeper more mature hen sound I normally prefer. At Unicoi you can run so many great calls and pick out exactly what you want. I know next year will be even better than this year.

Exactly....Plus you don't have be on a waiting list for a big name callmaker... ::)
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

beakbuster10

My Jerry "Dad" White Purple Heart over Cedar shortbox consistently makes gobblers die.

I've got some really good boxes from many of the aforementioned builders but that Dad's box rides in my vest more than all the others combined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techn9cian02

Quote from: paboxcall on February 14, 2017, 10:13:30 PM
Ralph Snodgrass and Billy Bush are my favorites.
Billy bush lives in the town next to me!!! Do you know any of his contact info by chance?

nitro

I have a "few" box calls.  A box is a tool I always have with me. That said, I hunt with Steve Mann box calls. Most often a Paddle call.

Royal Slam 2008

outdoors

I HAVE Quite A FEW
THERES ONE IN Particular THAT I HAVE IS FRICKING AWESOME BUT I CANT READ THE BOTTOM OF THE CALL , THE NAME @ DESCRIPCTION IS ALMOST WASHED OUT.........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

KYTURKEY

A good call maker will make you something with the sound you want. They will also take the call back if it's not what you are looking for, no questions asked. You just tell them what you like/don't like about it. That being said, my favorite box call makers are:
Jeff McKamey
Frank Kruer
Marlin Watkins
Scott Witter
Ed Terefencko
Neal Impson is coming on strong.

I agree, unicoi is a great place to run a lot of calls.

Patrick Hilbert

M Sharpe

Quote from: trb136 on February 15, 2017, 07:24:38 PM
Quote from: Britton40 on February 14, 2017, 09:33:55 PM
These type of threads pop up a lot. IMO, everyone has a different sound in their head of what a real hen is supposed to sound like. In turn, everyone will have their favorite call maker or caller because that particular call maker has that similar sound is in their head as well.  Most of the time, that call maker will tune for their particular sound. I imagine most box call makers will ask you several questions to try and fit your hen in their call. There's really not a good answer. All of them will kill turkeys. You have to find that particular call maker who tunes their calls to your personal hen. And also decide if it's a tool to strike a bird(make him gobble) or a tool for you to predominately use during the entire encounter. Make sense? 

I recommend coming to Unicoi next year and playing a lot of different calls and talking to the best in the business as far as box/paddle callers go.
. BINGO!!

X4
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Pettit877

Quote from: KYTURKEY on February 21, 2017, 07:03:09 PM
A good call maker will make you something with the sound you want. They will also take the call back if it's not what you are looking for, no questions asked. You just tell them what you like/don't like about it. That being said, my favorite box call makers are:
Jeff McKamey
Frank Kruer
Marlin Watkins
Scott Witter
Ed Terefencko
Neal Impson

Great group of call builders.  It would be tough to make a better list

Eric