OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Favorite box call maker?

Started by Techn9cian02, February 14, 2017, 03:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techn9cian02

Getting into box calls lately and was wondering who makes the best box call in your opinion, no matter what the price, and your favorite wood combinations. Thanks

wvlimbhanger

I have several from SS calls, but my favorite is purple heart over butternut.

I'm also really, really high on a snakewood over holly call from Jody Harrison aka preacherman.

vt35mag

Here are some of my personal favorites in my collection

Marlin Watkins - Macassar Ebony over Persimmon
Albert Paul - All Walnut
SS - Yellowheart over White Limba
Preacherman - Snakewood over Butternut

I have a few more on order that have the potential to knock something off or get added to this list.

Spitten and drummen

Marlin Watkins snakewood over butternut and mora over butternut
Richard Hudson hen box snakewood over black limba and rosewood over persimmon
Darrin Dawkins all walnut and walnut over poplar
Lamar Williams walnut over poplar
Mike Lapp walnut over butternut
Albert Paul all walnut
Jody Harrison snakewood over holly and snakewood over mulberry
these are just a few. I have so many it changes every few weeks.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

gergg

Richard Hudson hen box -- snakewood over teak --- A great sounding box. I have tried a few over the years, but this one is special and will make it in the vest this year.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Happy hooker

Sound-Bob Harwell
Looks and style- SS & Albert Paul
Value- Lonnie Mabry

fav wood combination- black walnut paddle and bottom and poplar box the contrasting colors make for a beautiful call.

wvmntnhick

SS purpleheart over mohagany
Spring Creek bloodwood over cherry
Lonnie Mabry walnut over poplar

I've got 3 other Mabry boxes but like the walnut poplar best. Have a Reynolds red rooster that's decent and his Li'l Jenny that came in a deal with the red rooster is actually a very good box that will see use mainly because it's already wearing its fair share of battle scars. Plan to put the SS and spring creek to work this year. Undecided about whether the Mabry walnut poplar will see action but the other Mabry's certainly will. I'd like to eventually get a Harrison or Paul box.

Big Guy

Honestly I only have 2.  An Albert Paul short box, and a Jeff McKamey long box.  I love that Jeff McKamey long box.  Kwila/Butternut so easy to play it almost plays itself.  I think it's impossible to make that call sound bad.

Britton40

These type of threads pop up a lot. IMO, everyone has a different sound in their head of what a real hen is supposed to sound like. In turn, everyone will have their favorite call maker or caller because that particular call maker has that similar sound is in their head as well.  Most of the time, that call maker will tune for their particular sound. I imagine most box call makers will ask you several questions to try and fit your hen in their call. There's really not a good answer. All of them will kill turkeys. You have to find that particular call maker who tunes their calls to your personal hen. And also decide if it's a tool to strike a bird(make him gobble) or a tool for you to predominately use during the entire encounter. Make sense? 

I recommend coming to Unicoi next year and playing a lot of different calls and talking to the best in the business as far as box/paddle callers go.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: Big Guy on February 14, 2017, 05:49:48 PM
Honestly I only have 2.  An Albert Paul short box, and a Jeff McKamey long box.  I love that Jeff McKamey long box.  Kwila/Butternut so easy to play it almost plays itself.  I think it's impossible to make that call sound bad.

You chose well. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

wernerjd

Albert Paul all walnut. Can't go wrong and a very nice gentleman

paboxcall

Ralph Snodgrass and Billy Bush are my favorites. 
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

Someone that makes one that will call a turkey. Sound is the name of the game regardless who make it..

MattinIdaho

I only have a small collection of boxes. A couple of Albert Paul's, a Kenny Harrell, Tim Sanford, Scott Basehore, Daryl Helm, Lonnie Maybry, Robert Bunger and a Frank Kruer. Most of them are nice. A couple are really nice. But the best one of the lot is the Frank Kruer Persimmon over Black Limba. That sucker just runs like a top and is beautiful to boot. It's a call that I will hand down to one of my boys someday.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Britton40 on February 14, 2017, 09:33:55 PM
These type of threads pop up a lot. IMO, everyone has a different sound in their head of what a real hen is supposed to sound like. In turn, everyone will have their favorite call maker or caller because that particular call maker has that similar sound is in their head as well.  Most of the time, that call maker will tune for their particular sound. I imagine most box call makers will ask you several questions to try and fit your hen in their call. There's really not a good answer. All of them will kill turkeys. You have to find that particular call maker who tunes their calls to your personal hen. And also decide if it's a tool to strike a bird(make him gobble) or a tool for you to predominately use during the entire encounter. Make sense? 

I recommend coming to Unicoi next year and playing a lot of different calls and talking to the best in the business as far as box/paddle callers go.
Valid point. Well stated. I've gotten rid of certain pots that others have loved. I like pots that others don't. All comes down to the sound we perceive to be turkey.