OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

billy buice trumpets

Started by greentag, February 12, 2017, 07:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eorlando

Beautiful trumpets guys. For those of you that have sent Billy your own wood for trumpets what dimensions does he need?? I am looking to get a highly figured piece of snakewood to send him and I need to know what size. I know it would be easiest to ask him. I have a call into him now but haven't heard back (I know he is dealing with family things). Thanks

nitro

Opinions vary, but I try to send 7"L x 1.75" x 1.75" - for a 6" trumpet..

Royal Slam 2008

boatpaddle

Quote from: nitro on February 14, 2017, 09:59:53 AM
RV - that is a very nice call. I have it's brother.

Rosewood makes an amazing trumpet.

Nitro,

Beautiful pair of calls from 2 fine southern gentleman.....

What is the Windwood made from....???

Congrats on your terrific collection of Mr. Billy's trumpets.....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

nitro

Boat paddle, my Farmer is Ironwood/Ivory.

Thank for the compliment. I haven't put up many photos. Need to have my daughter photograph all of them individually with her good camera. I have a fair number of Billy's trumpets. Billy makes great calls. Every yelper man should own at least one from him.

Mr. Bennett has cornered the market on the cool old flattops..  :toothy12:
Royal Slam 2008

Terry

Quote from: Bennett on February 13, 2017, 10:07:44 PM
# 9 brown micarta. I can't remember if Mr. Billy made 12 or 14 of these. Made in 2000
Can I have this one?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nitro

LOL!!! Mr. Bennett is a hoarder. His Buice calls are rare and made of unobtanium.. :gobble:

I don't sell many calls either and have been called worse.

Quote from: Terry on February 14, 2017, 04:39:21 PM
Quote from: Bennett on February 13, 2017, 10:07:44 PM
# 9 brown micarta. I can't remember if Mr. Billy made 12 or 14 of these. Made in 2000
Can I have this one?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Royal Slam 2008

Bennett

That Farmer is a heck of a nice call!  Nitro you have my word that I will check with you first in the unlikely event I ever sell any!  I have a couple of Mr. Farmer's field guides but do not own one of his wood winds.

Britton40

Nice fellas. Thanks for posting.

KPcalls

Nice collection guys....Thanks for showing them...I love looking at fine hardwoods and there are plenty in this thread.  I had a friend came by with three of Mr. Buices calls the other day.  He sure does a fine job on them.

nitro

A super nice 5.5" Tulipwood call. Blanks are supposed to be getting scarce.
Royal Slam 2008

nitro

A trip to the Yelper shop yielded a chance to see one of Billy's personal calls - an old Acacia rifleshell wingbone trumpet... Gorgeous call.
Royal Slam 2008

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: nitro on February 15, 2017, 10:32:02 AM
A trip to the Yelper shop yielded a chance to see one of Billy's personal calls - an old Acacia rifleshell wingbone trumpet... Gorgeous call.
Very cool.  That's a real treasure.  I'd love to make that trip.

nitro

Some nice pre 95 flaptops..  The Cocabola and the Pink Ivory roost at my house.. they are magic wands in my hand..

:drool:
Royal Slam 2008

nitro

We go see Billy often. You should come meet up with us.

BBQ is usually involved.. It is time well spent with a great man, a master callmaker of nearly 50 years experience..I learn something every time I go.

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on February 15, 2017, 08:39:55 PM
Quote from: nitro on February 15, 2017, 10:32:02 AM
Very cool.  That's a real treasure.  I'd love to make that trip.
Royal Slam 2008

ol bob

A day with Billy is better than a day in the woods.