turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Looking to start shooting a 20ga.

Started by Big Willie, February 09, 2017, 08:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Willie

I have always shot a 12 ga 3.5  870   syn.  but the recoil is killing me.  I am 50 and thinking serious about a 20. Want recomendatins  from every one

Greg Massey

Get you a youth 870 Rem 20 gauge with 21 inch barrel... After you get the gun we can help you with the build...I have one it's a great setup...look thru the many post on building a youth 870

turkey buster

I built one and love it! I'm only 33 but like you he recoil just isn't worth the punishment, plus he lighter weight of a 20 ga is more enjoyable carrying on long hunts.

My set up is a youth Remington 870 20ga with a 21in barrel and with a Carlson's non-ported .575 choke. I have it wrapped in original bottomland camo and have a Burris Fast Fire 2 on it. I'm shooting Federal Heavyweight 3in #7's.

I swatted one last year at just under 40 yards that you'd thought was shot with 3.5's.

SumToy

About any of the 20ga will work. Get federal HWT 7's and a good choke and enjoy the hunt     
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

TNReb

I love the Benelli M2.  Light weight and feels great for turkey hunting and it'll double for dove and even ducks.

Tom Foolery

Rem 870 Youth 21" and a SumToy 562-5 with HW 7's for me.

BowBendr

Quote from: turkey buster on February 09, 2017, 08:49:26 PM
I built one and love it! My set up is a youth Remington 870 20ga with a 21in barrel and with a Carlson's non-ported .575 choke. I'm shooting Federal Heavyweight 3in #7's.

I swatted one last year at just under 40 yards that you'd thought was shot with 3.5's.

My exact set up. Kills birds with heap big authority. Best investment I've made for turkey hunting, my 835 now gathers dust unless I happen to feel nostalgic and pull it out for a hunt.

davisd9

Those 1.5 oz Feds in a light 870 is not much better than a 12 ga as far as recoil goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

VaBoy

I went from a Winchester SX2 3.5 to a 11-87 and will never look back. Looked a little and found a used gun , put a Shurshot stock on it and a Carlsons .575 non ported with Fed HW7 and don't feel the least bit handicapped . Find a gun you are comfortable with and the guys on here will point you in the right direction in a hurry with a set up . Welcome to the club. 

Indianayounggun

Quote from: VaBoy on February 10, 2017, 08:53:48 AM
I went from a Winchester SX2 3.5 to a 11-87 and will never look back. Looked a little and found a used gun , put a Shurshot stock on it and a Carlsons .575 non ported with Fed HW7 and don't feel the least bit handicapped . Find a gun you are comfortable with and the guys on here will point you in the right direction in a hurry with a set up . Welcome to the club.

I have been looking at buying an 11-87 and putting a shurshot on it but I cant find a 20 gauge config shurshot for an 11-87 anywhere... is the 20 gauge 870 shurshot compatible for the 11-87?

davisd9

Quote from: Indianayounggun on February 10, 2017, 10:32:49 AM

I have been looking at buying an 11-87 and putting a shurshot on it but I cant find a 20 gauge config shurshot for an 11-87 anywhere... is the 20 gauge 870 shurshot compatible for the 11-87?

The stock will fit the 11-87, the forearm is different of course.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dirtnap

Quote from: davisd9 on February 10, 2017, 08:33:44 AM
Those 1.5 oz Feds in a light 870 is not much better than a 12 ga as far as recoil goes.

I disagree.

Turkeyfever

I have two 20 GA turkey guns. My favorite is the Mossberg SA 20 turkey thug. The semi automatic kicks like a feather and with a Carlson's .575 and federal HW#7 it will give a gobbler a hard time at 40 yards. My other is a Mossberg Maverick youth model it is a cheaper option at around 200. I have also used it successfully with the same shell but a primos tightwad choke tube. Both guns are rough on the gobblers and I will never carry a 12 GA again!
. .

FL-Boss

Mossberg SA 20 turkey thug is a sweet little gun. Even better is the Weatherby SA-459. I have 5 or 6 of these SA turkish shotguns now. They are all good and pretty much have the same internals. Weatherby is just a little more refined.
#7 HW and a Carlson .575  =   will never carry a 12ga again..

VaBoy

Quote from: Indianayounggun on February 10, 2017, 10:32:49 AM

Shurshot  for 870 / 11-87 only comes in black but  you can dip it or camo to your needs