OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which stock is best for turkey hunting?

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 08, 2017, 09:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I am looking to definitely put a pistol grip stock on my Remington 870 Express Super Mag. Which stock would be the best for turkey hunting, the Shurstock or the BLACKHAWK Knoxx Spec Ops (or other brand of this type stock)?

I am leaning more towards the Shurstock because it seems simple (no moving parts, adjustments, etc...). Also, for some reason, I kind of like the looks of the Shurstock... However, I am afraid of it being too bulky.

MK M GOBL

Not "bulky" at all IMO, love mine on my 1187, Don't know of the other stock you mentioned but moving parts sounds like unwanted noise to me.

MK M GOBL

Gobble!

After holding the ShurShot and Knox I chose Knox without hesitation.

Greg Massey

I like my ShurShot better than my Tactical stock, those adjustable stock rattle to much for my liking...

pabossie255

I just today put a shurshot on my Remington 11-87 as I held a 870 with one at Gander Mountain to see what it felt like and love the feel of it. 

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: pabossie255 on February 09, 2017, 01:53:20 AM
I just today put a shurshot on my Remington 11-87 as I held a 870 with one at Gander Mountain to see what it felt like and love the feel of it.

Does it seem like it would be hard to use a smaller sight (not a scope, but a regular sight) with the Shurstock, or would it not make a difference?

Greg Massey

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 09, 2017, 09:02:17 AM
Quote from: pabossie255 on February 09, 2017, 01:53:20 AM

Does it seem like it would be hard to use a smaller sight (not a scope, but a regular sight) with the Shurstock, or would it not make a difference?
Shurshot want be as hard as a tactial stock with sights...

Daddy rat

How's the length of pull on that shurshot vs factory stock?  Shorter, longer or same?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Daddy rat on February 09, 2017, 10:40:50 AM
How's the length of pull on that shurshot vs factory stock?  Shorter, longer or same?
It's pretty much the same as a regular shot gun stock..around 13 1/2 i think...but it feels great and it's a strong stock...

SwampRooster17

Just added a shurshot stock to my 870 like it a lot so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring Fever

Love my shur shot but the thing I noticed is the comb sits much higher than a regular stock and I had to put a sight on because my line of sight was too high for the beads.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Spring Fever on February 09, 2017, 01:58:39 PM
Love my shur shot but the thing I noticed is the comb sits much higher than a regular stock and I had to put a sight on because my line of sight was too high for the beads.

Yeah, somebody else mentioned that to me. I guess that is something that I need to take into consideration. I already have to lean my head down a little to line up my sights now, so maybe it wouldn't really be that much different.

Greg Massey

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on February 09, 2017, 03:19:20 PM

Yeah, somebody else mentioned that to me. I guess that is something that I need to take into consideration. I already have to lean my head down a little to line up my sights now, so maybe it wouldn't really be that much different.
You want notice that much difference...Just don't over think it...

MK M GOBL

Yup the ShurShot was made for use with a Red Dot they had on the firearms. Mine worked great because I had a scope on the gun, the previous stock was walnut from a slug gun with the raised comb. Might look at a set of the TruGlo Magnum Gobble-Dot Turkey Hunting Sights. I have had a number of guys say it raised up their sight plane a bit, unless you planning to go with a scope or red dot.

MK M GOBL

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 09, 2017, 05:20:05 PM

You want notice that much difference...Just don't over think it...

Ha! Clearly you haven't met me or read any of my posts...