OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

box call recommendations

Started by tha bugman, February 07, 2017, 07:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slicksbeagles1

Add Steve Mann in the mix too but all the meantioned call makers are great options

Boykin Hollow

Lonnie Mabry makes an excellent short box but you have to go there and purchase it, he will not make and mail you one. 

Happy hooker

But there a nice Mabry on the swap board for very reasonable

MikeStaten

I'm not a box call guy but I've had several over the years and now am down to two, Frank Kruer and Jody Harrison (preacher man).  They both sound great.  Kruer has better fit and finish but Harrison's sounds great and not a long wait time for him.

Spitten and drummen

call Albert Paul , Lamar Williams , Marlin Watkins , Darrin Dawkins , Mike Lapp , or Richard Hudson. I left out at least 20 others , but the point being is there are a bunch of great call makers out there that will make you a turkey killing box. It boils down to how long you are willing to wait and how much you are willing to spend. I assure you any of the ones I mentioned is worth the wait and price.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

vaplowboy

Dan Harris from Texarkana Texas makes one of the best box calls available and reasonably priced. Makes a good paddle call to. Contact him at 903 278 6244 and let him play them for you. He's had a table at Unicoi the past 2 years.

Jbird22

Bugman, look no farther than here in MS. Doug Morgan makes a fine turpin box.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 09, 2017, 09:06:59 PM

Jaybird is right . Dont know how i forgot him. Albert Paul and John Eddleman are also here in MS and make fine box calls.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Meadow Valley Man

I agree with vaplowboy. I have six Dan Harris' boxcalls, including two longboxes. They are sweet sounding, reasonable priced, and I think you can get one well before the season begins.  Dan also says if you're not happy with a call, he'll make sure you get one you love.  So far, he's not had to take any back. I've got the 14th call he made, and he's tried to get it back, but that's not going to happen!

Scpossum

I don't have tons of calls, but my picks are (in no specific order):

SS calls
Wendell Lancaster
Bob Harwell
Irving Whitt
Billy White - not sure if they are still shipping
Lonnie Mabry- just picked up two and they sound and look as good as any I ever picked up...and as fine a gentleman as I have ever talked to
Steve Mann
Darrin Dawkins

There are a lot of great box callmakers out there. Look for the ones that have consistant results.

turkey_picker

tha bugman

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 10, 2017, 08:32:10 AM
Quote from: JBIRD22 on February 09, 2017, 09:06:59 PM

Jaybird is right . Dont know how i forgot him. Albert Paul and John Eddleman are also here in MS and make fine box calls.

Heard its hard getting on Morgan's list... :TooFunny:

Hitman 23

Preacherman is spot on  with his  calls and a great guy to deal with. I looked at several different call makers and went with Preacherman. Called him up and ordered a lpe and mulberry box call . I told him I wanted a lot of yawk and man did he build me a great call . Check out Preacherman custom turkey calls on Facebook.

turkey stew

There are many mighty fine call makers in the turkey hunting community! I have many of them but SSCustom can make you a easy running caller for a great price. Also, their turn around time is fast and they will make the sound you want. Give Al and Josh a shout.

wvmntnhick

As said above, it depends on what you want to spend and how long you're willing to wait. AL and josh make a great box. Love mine. Mike at Spring Creek makes a fine box that I plan to put to work this year. Lonnie Mabry (if you're willing to drive to Georgia or wait for one to pop here) makes a good box. Another decent box that's reasonably priced (if you're looking for a custom job) is Tylersburg Yelpers. Either google the name or check on eBay. Nice strikers too. If custom doesn't matter and you want an extremely lightweight box, look at the cedar box gooserbat is selling on his site. Took minimal tinkering (loosening spring tension) but it is a fine killing box.