North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Strut Stopper StoryThread

Started by turkey harvester, February 06, 2017, 09:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman67

Quote from: ruination on April 10, 2017, 04:57:41 PM
congrats on a pretty bird, is that it for your season?

We are allowed 3 in Mississippi so I still have one more to get.
Loving God's Creation!

bornagain64

Yep, I am done. Only a 2 bird limit in Florida.
Maybe when I retire I can try for a slam.
Good luck to everyone still hunting.

dzsmith

went to florida last Friday night. got there at 2 am. couldn't get a hotel, not that I would have gotten any sleep anyway, was supposed to meet up with my partner at 5am. got bad directions, and never got hooked up with him til about 6am. didn't make it to the woods til 645am. dude told me there was one bird gobbling in the block I was hunting, which was discouraging because the last time I went here there was 10 gobbling. he also told me he was henned up and id probably have to come up with a game plan to kill him in the afternoon. bird flew down at 0700. he was not roosted where they said he was. he went straight to his hens and shut up at 730. I waited around til about 8. slipped down a fire lane after him. called pretty aggressive and located him. as he started making his way up the road to circle my fire lane. I scratched only from that point on. two hens led him right by me. big ole bird. 1 3/8 spurs. pulled the trigger at 830. ive been to this property twice in the last three years, and have only been in the woods a total of 2 hours. with 2 birds to show for it. I had been up for over 30 hours when I killed that bird. had little preparation so I was very please with the quick outcome.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

dzsmith

#4 for the year. after killing a bird in florida Saturday morning, I went and scouted some public land in florida that afternoon. I hunted it sunday morning until lunch, and did get on a gobbling bird, but he didn't gobbler for long and I wasn't able to strike anything up after that. so that afternoon I drove back to Mississippi. Got to the woods late Monday morning about 0700. parked and hunted one spot. called in 3 jakes about 830. let them leave, and drove to another spot that I had originally planned on hunting, but couldn't because somebody was parked there already. I had been hunting there the previous week, and worked a bird a few times. he wouldn't gobble much, and was pretty sneaky. but I thought about my game plan for him the whole time I was in florida, and it was to catch him mid day. I went right where I thought I would find him at, and low and behold he was there, but about 400 yards away if not further. It was windy but I had specifically brought my long box , so I cranked on it real hard for about a minute. had a different bird answer me, but I payed him no mind. after making that call I saw him coming my way. so when he topped the next ridge closer to me I used another loud box I had and made a more aggressive and slightly complex call. he actually gobbled to that. I put the call up, layed on the ground, and he walked the whole way to me. this was on a big pipeline by the way, just so yall can picture what im talking about. very hilly. which was to my advantage at that moment. the gas company left some small pines on one side, and tall grass. there was a lil nole there, that I walked to in order to glass the next 3/4 mile of line. its also the highest point on the line. I was able to simply sit down and nothing could see me, so It was a relatively comfortable other than I couldn't lean up against anything to shoot. he walked smooth by me. from the time I saw him to his death was only 15 minutes. unfortunately it was a 2 mile walk to get there. limited out in the home state
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

birdman67

Great stories! Congrats on the birds!
Loving God's Creation!

turkey harvester

Congrats on the birds!! Great story. It will be on Monday morning, providing the rain holds off. Got a private farm we've hunted before with great success, soooo hopefully something will want to come play. You guys are really whackin some birds!!
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Jroddc

ruination

Tagged out and my season has not even begun yet.  Niceeee.
.410 Favors the Bold

deerbasshunter3

Congrats on the birds, everybody! I'll be back out to public land on Friday morning.

bornagain64

Nice job guys. Congrats and keep it going.

birdman67

My 3 day weekend starts when I get off work today. Gonna try to go roost some birds this afternoon.
Loving God's Creation!

deerbasshunter3

I am having trouble finding when the contest ends. We are currently in 5th place. The top three teams are already above 300 points. That makes me think most of them are possibly done scoring birds. If we have enough people who have yet to score a bird, I think we may have a shot at winning this thing.

When does the contest end?

turkey harvester

I think end of may, not sure. My season starts on Monday so maybe I can add in the next 3 weeks. Lay em down folks.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA

bornagain64

Some states seasons end at the end of May. The contest ends after the last season closes.
So the contest probably ends at the beginning of June, to give hunters a chance to add there entrys.

wvhoyt19

WV youth season was great today! I was blessed to spend another day in the woods with my oldest son. We roosted 14 birds on Friday night. He was excited to say the least. I had setup a blind on Wednesday in a spot that has produced well the last few years and we were within 250 yds of the roost tree off a strut path. We placed our DSD breeding pair 15 steps in front of the blind at 5:50 am. We heard several gobbles from the roost. Hens were very vocal as well. By 6:45am, the farm got quiet. At 8:30 we were able to challenge a hen uphill but for whatever reason, she started to putt and walk away. At the same time, we heard a gobble not more than 50 yds over the hill! However, he went with her. Shortly after 9, I spotted several in the field near the roost site. I tried to challenge the hens as we couldn't strike up a longbeard. Then it happened. 2 hens came from the strut zone and was towing a longbeard behind them. He came in full strut challenging the Jake and we let him beat him up awhile as I filmed it all. I couldn't hold my son back anymore and told him "Now". He rolled him off the Jake at 15 yds! Thank ya Lord! 19 lb. 10 1/4" Beard and inch Spurs. Great memories made today!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk