OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

nitro ammo ?

Started by potter, February 10, 2017, 02:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

potter

Just shot nitro 457 shell. Seems to me there is shot smaller than no7. Is this what u call pixie dust? If u order straight 6s will it have pixie dust also.i shot the 457 into 1/2in pine board. A couple 4s went through, most 4s and 5s went in about 3/8. The 7s about1/8to 1/4. Small stuff about 1/16 to 1/8.
My question are those small pellets (pixie dust) in all of there shotshell selection?or only when u order shells with no7 in them?

potter

Got these pelets out of targets. They are from right to left.fed hw7, nitro 7, nitro 7. And top im guessing nitro 5. The nitro 7s are smaller and different in size. The fed hw 7 all are the same size. Why is this???

gaswamp

potter

Why are the nitro 7s different sizes(some very small)? And why would fed hw 7 be larger. When they weigh more?

Old Gobbler

The" pixie dust " term was coined well over 10 years ago , and it was in reference to the very small hevi shot pellets found in nitro loads

Yes ....there are smaller than #7 pellets in nitro loads ,and it is annoying,  perhaps one of the many reasons nitro is not nearly as popular as it once was

I would say if your target distance is reasonable,  the nitros plus any number of offerings are more than capable

I'm not a fan of the hevishot in #7 , however the straight #5 hevishot in the nitro 2.25 ounce offering is a good load , also .......the factory federal #7hw is the most viable factory load offering --'with a kicks choke---- is what I now use , many others have done the same
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

potter

Thanks og. I am waiting on a 690 kicks choke to try with fed hw7s. I like the feds to they hit hard. But was thinking of trying the nitro 456 or asking for a 56 hevi blend. If I ordered those would they also have those little pellets?

Old Gobbler

I will say that if you want a triplex offering THAT DOESN'T HAVE #8 and 9 hevi shot...may I recommend,  mag blends ! You'll get probably a 260 out of those

Im not familiar with the newer nitros, but I'll tell you any of the triplex or straight 7 hevi shot offerings had quite a few smaller pellets

When I was shooting the 2.5 ounce straight 7 nitro hevishot I b paired that with a rhino .685 and was near the 400 area ....10 in @40

When I shot the 2.5 triplex ...that load only shot well with the rhino .720 , that load shot 350 to 370

When I shot the 2.25 nitro #5 straight hevi , i shot 180 to 190 ....this by far was my favorite nitro load --it hit like a ton of bricks ...I'm talking broken legs wings etc...

The federal #7 hw pellet .....is a 1300 fps load if I remember correctly,  if shot it through hardwood plywood and quite a few gobblers , and in my opinion it has the same knockdown as a #5 hevishot nitro load , but .....is more consistent. ......and easy to get , plus cheaper ....once I was told to try the kicks combo and started pulling 200-219 patterns , I went out and bought 2 cases of federals and didn't look back

Be forwarned......ammomakers have been one by one pulling out of the htl market , if you discover that your gun shoots the fed/kicks combo well.....buy up a HOARD OF IT, cause every single year it gets harder and harder to find 10ga ammo
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

potter

Thanks for the info og!!!!! Bought a used kicks690 (and a spring creek cedar over bloodwood shortbox)from this site, I will try out fedhw 7 when weather gets warmer. Hope kickingwing gets the feds working.love this site.wife wants to know why I am on laptop all the time.wait till she sees creditcard lol.