turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Tight is Too Tight for FC Wads

Started by Daniel, April 07, 2011, 10:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

I was reading the other day, and someone mentioned Federal FC Wads were pretty hard.  Due to this, what is the tightest these should be shot through without fear of splitting the choke tube?  I tried searching the forum, but was unsuccessful finding an answer to this.  Thanks!

Quax

Which load? The hw 7 is supposedly a little more forgiving. I have had good luck with 660s in two different guns with it.

Daniel

Yes it is for Federal HW #7's.  I tried a undertaker hd .675, and was not too pleased, but didn't know if y'all thought there was a safe limit.

Quax

What gun? 3 or 3.5 inch shell? I've shot the hw 7 in guns with both invector and invector plus choke systems and both did well with .660s, the 3" shell putting 160s and 180s, respectfully

Daniel

Remington 11-87 with 26 inch barrel, shooting 3 inch shells.

Quax

I think u'd do well with a nonported 665 of some nature, I shoot plain old Hastings in the gold; the Carlson in the weatherby

mcgruff1533

It depends greatly on the individual gun, choke and FCW shell.

I've fired countless Federal Mag-Shok Lead 3.5"-2oz-#6 loads through my 20" barreled Mossberg 535.

Chokes tested were both ported and non-ported and patterns varied without much rhyme or reason.   

I've had tight, ported chokes totally outshoot more open, non-ported chokes.    Out to 30-32 yards, I've had some pretty good patterns which would put 220-270 #6 pellets in a 10" circle with ease.     Up until I got my .660" Indian Creek BDS choke, I was putting about 220-250 pellets in the 10" on average.    The Indian Creek was consistently putting 270+ in the 10" circle at 32 yards.    That was until I split the IC choke with a FCW which I'll never shoot through the IC ever again.

Patterns up to 32 yards were nice, but I found my numbers were severely lacking at 40 yards.    In fact, it was so bad that I couldn't tell where the pattern core was at.     

I've been in contact with Clark Bush (allaboutshooting) and I'm currently testing a #1 and #2 Wright's Turkey chokes which were designed with the FCW in mind.     Testing will begin tomorrow and I'll report back with my findings.   

Clark assures me the .670" Wright's choke will probably out shoot the .660" model, but I'm going to test both and make an informed decision and let the pattern board speak for itself.

coyotetrpr

I used the original Mad Max choke with 3.5 in #5 fcw for years and the wad would penetrate the target very near poa every time. Killed a lot of birds     with this combo. I do not know the ed of this choke, but it was in a Mosberg 835
Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

BigPeck215

there are so many variables involved with the flite control wad that it is difficult for people to figure them out. with a shell like a hevi 13 6's that has been patterned probably more than any shell on this site there is you dont have to worry about what the wad is doing because it is designed to be stripped off in the choke for best patterns,

but with a shell like the FCW you have to not only worry about what the choke is doing but you also have to worry about making sure the wad functions properly, there are too many variables involved and that is why its been hard to pinpoint the best chokes for that shell

snapper1982

Quote from: coyotetrpr on April 07, 2011, 03:05:58 PM
I used the original Mad Max choke with 3.5 in #5 fcw for years and the wad would penetrate the target very near poa every time. Killed a lot of birds     with this combo. I do not know the ed of this choke, but it was in a Mosberg 835
i also used an original mad max for years shooting 3.5 fcw 2oz 5's with awesome patterns out of a 23 inch barreled remington 870

SumToy

I not like to see them in anything other then Browning, 835. ruger or other  bigger bore guns.  Now this said I have a customer that shoots a a 673 with them.  He say it will hammer.   I would stay 670 or bigger with the no ports.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

PALongspur

One of my good friends shoots 3 1/2" HW 7s through a Final Strut .640 and gets tremendous results.